I used to claim community care grants. Are there any grants I can claim while claiming UC and ESA? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I used to claim community care grants. Are there any grants I can claim while claiming UC and ESA?

Options
Arsenal22
Arsenal22 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
A long time ago I have claimed community care grants which I had to pay back.
I'm now claiming UC and ESA are there any grants I can claim for while claiming UC and ESA which won't effect my benefits.
I neec things like pot and pans, a fridge ect.
I have been on UC for nearly a year now and have been on ESA for a month.
Regards
John (Removed by moderator, full name)

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Arsenal22

Thanks for your post, I hope you are well. 

The best resource I can point you in the direction of to find grants is Scope's grants checker, which you can access here. Sadly, grants are not as common these days but hopefully you are able to find something. 

Just to let you know, I have removed your full name from your post. In accordance with our community guidelines we do not allow personal details on the community.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,629 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There are budgeting loans which have to be repaid:

https://www.gov.uk/budgeting-help-benefits/how-to-apply

or grants that don't have to be:

https://grants-search.turn2us.org.uk

@Arsenal22 welcome to scope John
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Arsenal22
    Options
    Thank you all for your input and information, but I do have another question.
    I am claiming UC and have now started claiming ESA, UC have stopped my Limited Capability to work due to me receiving ESA.
    If I find a part time job how many hours a week can I work before it affects my benefits ? and how much can I earn per month before it effects my benefits.
    Regards
    Arsenal22  
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2021
    Options
    ESA is deducted from the UC payable so total ESA and UC is the same as just claiming UC. 

You refer to LCW, can you be clear - have you been found to have LCW or LCWRA. There is no extra money for LCW, there is for LCWRA.

As regards work 
    for UC there are no restrictions on how long you can work or how much you earn but the earnings will reduce the UC payable. There will be a deduction of 60% of anything in excess of your Work Allowance (£293 if your claim includes the housing element, £515 if it does not). You get the Work Allowance if you have LCW or LCWRA or have children on the claim.
    for ESA there are permitted work rules which ca be found here
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/employment-and-support-allowance-permitted-work-form/permitted-work-factsheet

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Arsenal22
    edited July 2021
    Options
    It's LCWRA that I have lost through claiming ESA.
    But can I work up to 16 hours a week, earn up to £290 before it effects my benefits.
    Regards 
    John <moderator removed - full names not permitted on community>
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Arsenal22

Just to advise, I've removed your surname from your post to protect your personal identity.  As @Ross_Scope mentioned yesterday, please bear in mind when constructing future posts not to do this to keep safe and stay in line with the community house rules.

Thank you :) 
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • calcotti
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Arsenal22 said:
    But can I work up to 16 hours a week, earn up to £290 before it effects my benefits.
    Regards 
    You would not lose LCWRA through claiming ESA. If you have already been determined to have LCWRA and it was in payment the the only change you should see in your UC statement is a new line deducting the ESA you receive.
    If the LCWRA element has indeed disappeared from your UC statement then you need to raise a payment query. Have you looked at your UC statement?
    Arsenal22 said:
    Regards 
    If you earn more than £143/week then your entitlement to ESA will end (but it simply means that your UC would go up because there would be no ESA to deduct). 
    If you intend to work while claiming ESA you must inform DWP as explained in the link I posted earlier.
    Note that the UC Work Allowance disregard is a monthly amount.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Arsenal22
    Options
    Hello community,
    Thank you so mush for your advice and very quick responses, I'm really not too sure how all of this works but as usual I have another question which I'm also not too sure about.
    When I first started with UC they told me I can apply for a loan which I did this was over a year ago and I now have 1 more payment to pay then it's finished, my question is could I apply for another loan when i have paid all this off ?.

Regards,
    Arsenal22 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,629 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Put simply NO the original UC loans were to help claimants who were having to wait 5 weeks for their first UC payment.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Arsenal22
    Options
    Thank Woodbine for the answer and quick reply.
    Regards 
    Arsenal22 
  • calcotti
    Options
    Depending on why you want it you may be able to get a UC Budgeting advance. See the bottom of this page
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/universal-credit-advances#get-a-budgeting-advance

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.