Hi, I get ESA support group. If my child is awarded DLA can I claim carers? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, I get ESA support group. If my child is awarded DLA can I claim carers?

jo_chloe
jo_chloe Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi can anyone help. I get esa for myself and my child has just been awarded dla can I claim carers and does it not effect my esa. Thanks
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community 

Im no expert on esa but I think if the person you care for gets dla then you can claim carers allowance 

Other members will be able to help you 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,097 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jo_chloe - & welcome to the community. Is your ESA the New style ESA or contribution based?
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Key question is what type of ESA you get. Is it new style ESA or the old ESA (which could be contribution based or income based or a mix of both contribution based and income based).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • jo_chloe
    Hi think it's the old one I've been on it for 7 years. 
  • calcotti
    jo_chloe said:
    Hi think it's the old one I've been on it for 7 years. 
    Do you know if it is all income based or contribution based or a mix of contribution based and income based?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • jo_chloe
    Think it's income related base
  • calcotti
    You can claim Carer’s Allowance if your child gets at least mid rate care component of DLA. Once awarded your ESA will include an extra amount called a carer premium. CA will be paid separately and will be deducted from the ESA. Your total ESA payment will then be less than your existing but taking the CA and ESA together you will be better off by £37.70/week.
  • jo_chloe
    Great thank you 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.