What does it take to be a Paralympian? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What does it take to be a Paralympian?

Options
Tori_Scope
Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
Channel 4 have released a trailer for the Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games. 

https://youtu.be/OjIP9EFbcWY

You can watch the audio described version here, and the signed/subtitled version here.

While some people have praised the trailer for the way it represents Paralympic athletes, others have taken issue with the 'super human' imagery and messaging. 

What do you think about the trailer? Has it made you excited for the Paralympics? What do you think about the 'super human' theme? 
National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I felt uncomfortable with the message 'To be a Paralympian there's got to be something wrong with you......' both negative & incorrect.
    Whilst I'll probably watch some of the Paralympic Games, I don't identify with the athletes as 'superhuman;' it could be argued that all athletes (able bodied/disabled) put in a superhuman effort, but that's something completely different.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I think maybe they were trying to make the point that that's not true you have to have something 'wrong' with you @chiarieds, as they juxtaposed that message with the clips of Paralympians training, working out, competing etc. At least that's the way I interpreted it!
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness