Microvascular ischemic disease and memory loss — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Microvascular ischemic disease and memory loss

Pixie51
Pixie51 Community member Posts: 70 Courageous
Hi there

its been a while since I have been online. I have been investigated for MS after lesions were found on my brain in January but thankfully the lumbar puncture and other tests were clear. The neuro has now diagnosed microvascular ischemic disease (small vessel ischemic disease) which I believe is common in elderly people. I am 52. Apart from a mass of other symptoms and a fibro diagnosis years ago (wonder if that still stands?) a worrying thing is how much I forget. I am not talking keys lost or walking up the stairs and forgetting things, it’s total conversations, phone calls, trips, chores done completely lost. It’s actually quite frightening. I have been told my risk of vascular dementia is higher and having managed care homes I am aware of the gravity of this but ever the optimist I am thinking it won’t happen. I guess I wondered if anyone else had been diagnosed with this and if so what you deal with symptom wise if anything. I am told there is currently little they can do as it is sometimes linked to diabetes high blood pressure high cholesterol etc and they would deal with that to help slow damage down but I am normal weight non diabetic normal blood pressure etc and am a yoga teacher so exercise regularly.
sorry for the unload just a little tired. 
Pix ??
Yoga heals the soul ??

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome back 

Sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis 

Interesting as a diabetic for over 30 years this isn't something I have heard of being connected in fact never heard of it 

I'm not saying it is wrong just something I wasn't aware of 

Hope others can give you some useful advice 
  • Pixie51
    thanks Janer

diabetes is just one of the causes. I am not diabetic it’s normally associated with the elderly I believe but can be brought on by physical trauma, obesity, etc etc But yes definitely a thing discussed in detail with my neuro. 
    Best wishes
    Pix 
    Yoga heals the soul ??
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2021
    Have you spoken to your doctor about your concerns over your memory @pixie51

And there's no need to apologise for unloading :) You're completely welcome to do that. Getting to terms with a new diagnosis can be difficult, and we all need a good vent sometimes! 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Pixie51
    Hi Tori,
    Early on I spoke to the neuro about my memory concerns but after the diagnosis she talked through potential complications and changing  meds linked to pain. Basically my understanding is that the damage done is done and if things got worse that they would rescan to see how things had changed but I just needed to plod on keeping myself active and eating well. I am starting to research ways I can work on my memory and others experiences. My GP has left the practice and am not sure who my new one is but I need to make an appointment to discuss the meds change so will see if I feel comfortable with them discussing my concerns. 

Thank you for your post 

best wishes

Pixie ??
    Yoga heals the soul ??

Brightness