Concerned at cost of potential bill — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Concerned at cost of potential bill

SMW83
SMW83 Community member Posts: 108 Courageous
Hi all,

I have lived in a property for 8 years and my water meter bill has always been estimated by the company.

I am moving homes in the coming weeks (not by choice and I have posted about this on the forum) and after checking my meter against the estimate, I am concerned that a final bill may be substantially more than the company has been charging me (the meter numbers are almost double what the water estimate is). I am concerned that if this is the case that I will be expected to pay a bill I cannot afford especially when I am having to move and all
the associated costs of doing so (with no financial help by my local authority even though it is them and the police who are insistent I move).

Advice on what to do regarding this would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• rubin16
    rubin16 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 520 Pioneering
    Hi @SMW83 ,

I would try to speak to the water company and explain your situation to them, theres lots of help available out there for special situations and they will be able to advise you on what to do or go through payment options with yourself. I'm terrable myself with bills and used to just ignore them, but I have found just speaking to them about the situation is the best course of action as they come across these situations all the time.

Hope this helps.
    I have Autism, ADHD, Schizophrenia, Gilberts Syndrome and Crohn's Disease and have knowledge in these areas.

• SMW83
    Hi @SMW83 ,

I would try to speak to the water company and explain your situation to them, theres lots of help available out there for special situations and they will be able to advise you on what to do or go through payment options with yourself. I'm terrable myself with bills and used to just ignore them, but I have found just speaking to them about the situation is the best course of action as they come across these situations all the time.

Hope this helps.
    Thank you. I’ll give that a try.

I mean I’ve been paying the amount they’ve asked for and have only asked me to give a
    meter reading when I moved in  so surely they should take that into account.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,609 Disability Gamechanger
    Most if not all utility companies have help avaliable, they should allow you to pay any outstanding bill in monthly payments, it does always pay to provide readings on a regular basis for water/gas/electricity to avoid large estimated bills, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.
    Which company provides your water/meter?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• SMW83
    woodbine said:
    Most if not all utility companies have help avaliable, they should allow you to pay any outstanding bill in monthly payments, it does always pay to provide readings on a regular basis for water/gas/electricity to avoid large estimated bills, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.
    Which company provides your water/meter?
    Thanks for your reply.

I am with Anglian Water.

Yeah, hindsight is a wonderful thing. I’ve never had an issue with estimated bills before but it seems i’ve used a lot of water here… Somehow!!?!
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,609 Disability Gamechanger
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Brightness