What day is it payed? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What day is it payed?

cwatson0000
cwatson0000 Community member Posts: 56 Connected
I know PIP is payed every 4 weeks, but does everyone get payed on the same day or could it be any day of the week excluding Saturday and Sunday?

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

Everyone gets paid on different dates it is worked out on the date you applied paid a month in arrears 
  • cwatson0000
    What do you mean by being paid in arrears? Does the first PIP payment contain 2 months payments? 
  • Emilyb81
    Emilyb81 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    No i think its the other way around? So you are getting paid for the 4 weeks just gone? I think anyway makes my brain ache just thinking about it! ????
  • janer1967
    No it means you would be paid 1 month after you applied just like if you was working 

If you get awarded you will get back pay to the date you applied 

But like most payments you get paid 4 weeks in arrears so when your claim ends you still get a payment after it ends 
    .sorry I'm not explaining very well 

For example if you applied on 1st June and was awarded without any wait for assessment your first payment would be 29th June 

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Basically every time you get a payment, it’s for the previous 4 weeks. 
  • cwatson0000
    Okay I see. Thanks for everyone’s comments. So I made my claim originally beginning of March… so if I get awarded PIP say beginning of august would I get a back payment?
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    yes you would
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    Yes you get back pay to start of your claim 
    .have you had an assessment yet as new claims are taking around 10 months to complete at the moment 
  • Emilyb81
    Yes you would be paid arrears from march when you claimed if you are awarded ?
  • Emilyb81
    Haha does make me feel a right wally keeps saying nobody has answered then i type one and post it and bam 2 other answers before me so im now just repeating things ?? i swear my phone enjoys making me look and feel foolish at times its a conspiracy i tell you ?? nite peeps and stay safe ??? 
  • cwatson0000
    Yes I had my assessment on the 17th June… they said they have all the information they need on the 6th July.. I am on DLA high care rate at 356.60 a month… so if I get awarded more with PIP would I get payed the difference in terms of a back payment? 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2021
    If it’s a DLA to PIP transfer you do not get any arrears. The new PIP entitlement starts 4 weeks after the decision regardless of whether it is less or more than the DLA. Because PIP is then paid 4 weeks in arrears I think the first PIP payment should be 8 weeks after the decision is made.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Don't worry @Emilyb81 - it happens to me all the time as I'm slow to type. :) However, if several people are saying the same thing, hopefully that helps the person who has posted, & gives reassurance.
  • Emilyb81
    Thats a good point! Thankyou @chiarieds don't feel such a plonker now although between that and autocorrect i dont think it will last long ???  have a nice night! ??
  • calcotti
    edited July 2021
    janer1967 said:..Everyone gets paid on different dates it is worked out on the date you applied paid a month in arrears 
    As it turns out not relevant to OP because this is a DLA to PIP transfer but thought I’d comment on this. For new claims it appears the pay date is determined by the date of decision, not the date the claim was made.
    See
    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/945889/admb1.pdf#page12
    paragraph B1044
    Obviously the date of claim is taken into account when any arrears due are calculated.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • janer1967
    Thanks for correcting me  @calcotti
  • calcotti
    janer1967 said:
    Thanks for correcting me  @calcotti
    I had to look it up because I didn’t know.
  • chiarieds
    edited July 2021
    If it’s a DLA to PIP transfer you do not get any arrears. The new PIP entitlement starts 4 weeks after the decision regardless of whether it is less or more than the DLA. Because PIP is then paid 4 weeks in arrears I think the first PIP payment should be 8 weeks after the decision is made.

As far as my personal experience goes migrating from DLA to PIP, & just checking my paperwork in case my memory was incorrect, I would beg to differ @calcotti - I received a letter dated 19 Sept 20xx saying I was awarded PIP from 17 Oct 20xx. The letter stated, 'Now we've made our decision about your PIP claim, this means your DLA will end on 16 Oct 20xx. This is because by law we can only start to pay you PIP 4 weeks after this decision is made.'

So there's continuity; DLA continues for 4 weeks after a decision regardless, &, if PIP is awarded, this starts the day after DLA ends.....first PIP payment therefore 4 weeks after a decision.

• calcotti
    edited July 2021
    chiarieds said:

As far as my personal experience goes migrating from DLA to PIP, & just checking my paperwork in case my memory was incorrect, I would beg to differ @calcotti - I received a letter dated 19 Sept 20xx saying I was awarded PIP from 17 Oct 20xx. The letter stated, 'Now we've made our decision about your PIP claim, this means your DLA will end on 16 Oct 20xx. This is because by law we can only start to pay you PIP 4 weeks after this decision is made.'

So there's continuity; DLA continues for 4 weeks after a decision regardless, &, if PIP is awarded, this starts the day after DLA ends.....first PIP payment therefore 4 weeks after a decision.

I didn’t say there wasn’t continuity, I said that there are no arrears of PIP to be paid. There is definitely continuity and DLA is paid up to the day before the PIP starts.

In your case you would have been paid DLA up to 16th October (4 weeks after the decision on 19th September). Your PIP entitlement began on 17th October and, as PIP is paid 4 weeks in arrears, I would expect your first PIP payment to be on 14th November (which is 8 weeks after the decision on 19th September) - not 4 weeks after the decision as you suggest.
    calcotti said:

• chiarieds
    Apologies for misunderstanding @calcotti - another thing to remember. :)

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.