I've put in an appeal, with a statement from myself. Can I also get a medical report from my GP? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I've put in an appeal, with a statement from myself. Can I also get a medical report from my GP?

bobt10
bobt10 Community member Posts: 26 Listener
edited May 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
i applied for pip in january after i had major back surgery {ACDF} its left me struglling to do everyday life things 
ie from washing getting dressed to walking nothers its also clearly affected my mental healh n state 
ive had an over the phone assessment n they awarded me the standerd rate 
telling me nothing up with mental health coz spoke ok on phone coz can get in car i can get in bath cant even lift leg properly to walk 
plus stated others things i can do but clearly cant how can a phone assessement tell ppls mental state n health problems its just wrong for everone with these problems to be assessed over the and be phobed off 
i haveput in an appeal with a statement from myself raising concerns they said i can do but cant i also got a medical report from my GP which  they stateted it affects my mobility n my meantal health 
would like info on if others had same problems n the outcome cheers 

Comments

• bobt10
    You've asked us to look at our recent PIP decision again. We will write to you once we've done this. As a guide you should hear from us within 10 weeks. You don't need to contact us unless any of the details you gave us have changed. Thank you.
    why does it not mention the eveidence i sent n how do i know they got it was all sent together

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    It's a standard letter. 
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • bobt10
  • bobt10
    do they take all new evidance into consideration 
    ie medical reports 
  • calcotti
    bobt10 said:
    do they take all new evidance into consideration 
    ie medical reports 
    For the MR a new Decision Maker will review all the evidence available.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • bobt10
    cheers for feed back main reson for appeal is i dont see how they can do mental health n mobility assesments over phone 

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @bob10

Welcome to the community, glad you've joined us. 

May I ask, do you receive support to manage your mental health?  It seems as though this has impacted you and I ust wanted to ensure you have support inplace to manage that aspect.

And does your GP or health professional know how the back surgery has impacted your daily tasks? Have they considered ways in which you could be supported to effectively carry out those things like getting dressed and washing?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • bobt10
    not at this moment as i am under assessment for pip and do not know who can help me my doctor does know of the impact on my daily living tasks my doctor has sent a medical letter to help my pip claim i do feel i need more support with my mental health
  • Ross_Alumni
    bobt10 said:
    not at this moment as i am under assessment for pip and do not know who can help me my doctor does know of the impact on my daily living tasks my doctor has sent a medical letter to help my pip claim i do feel i need more support with my mental health
    Have you ever discussed your mental health with your GP? They will be best placed to advise you on possible ways forward.

It's good that he sent a letter to support your PIP claim for you

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Harrington
    Harrington Community member Posts: 33 Courageous
    edited May 2021
    @bobt10 your experience sounds just like mine.i have had major spinal surgery that's left me a wreck and shell of my former self,i suffer anxiety and panic attacks all due to the spinal op,any how i had a phone assessment and had standard daily care and nothing for walking(which i really struggle with)so have done an Mr and await results,

the odd thing is the reason was because i can grip a walking stick is why i failed the mobility and had 0 points..in their mind it means i have upper body strength, also because i was speaking on the phone i am ok and suffer no anxiety well according to capita that is...sorry you are going through the same its so hard fighting for something we are entitled to in the first place...but on a positive note i have done MR before and got results so worth doing..

• bobt10
    thx for reply both sound exactly the same its just frustrating for all by them deciding over the phone  not face to face 
    on mine said coz can get in car can get in bath two totally differant movements can only just lift leg to walk never mind lift to get in bath i semt GP medicl assesement and my own letter saying why i appeal
    if you dont mind me asking did you get better marks after MR 
  • Harrington
    Harrington Community member Posts: 33 Courageous
    @bobt10 With MR i went from  0 to 8 points on both daily care and mobility so was awarded standard for both this was last time now i am doing MR again for the same reason, all reasons for all fails was down to being able to grip a walking stick...

you mention an appeal have you tried an MR yet?  i feel MR is worth a try as i have read many on here getting good outcomes.
  • bobt10
    sorry so long reply it is a MR that i have put in 
  • Caz_Alumni
    Caz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 621 Pioneering
    edited May 2021
    Hi @bobt10

How are you doing today? I can see that you've been discussing the possibility of applying for an MR. I'm not sure how far you've got with that? But I thought it might be helpful to include a couple of links to further information about Challenging your PIP decision and Asking for a mandatory reconsideration

Hope those are helpful to you? And just let us know if you would like any further advice as you go forward with your MR. 

Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • bobt10
    I've only just recently sent my MR stuff of so awaiting a decision off them 
    Thx for reply me link 
  • bobt10
    i have just received from DWP after putting in a MR they said ill still receive standard liviing allowance and now awarded me standard mobility allowance after all the eveidence i sent i stiil fell like they over looked a lot of things mental health issues was stated by my doctor which was overlooked 
    i just cant get it round my head how they can judge sombodys mental and health condition over the phone 
    still not happy what step can i take next to contest the last descion

• calcotti
    You can appeal to the tribunal service. This should be referred to in the Mandatory Reconsideration notice you have received.
  • bobt10
  • Ross_Alumni
    Sorry to hear that you didn't get the decision you wanted @bob10

If you want further support with your appeal, it might be a good idea to seek some professional help, the best place to do so would be through Advice Local or by contacting your nearest Welfare Rights.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.