Dla to pip for 16 year old. How do I know if he's getting a paper-based assessment? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Dla to pip for 16 year old. How do I know if he's getting a paper-based assessment?

Options
2»

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

Sorry the outcome isn't what you expected 

The details of how to send Mr should be in your letter or send to address on letter 

Make sure you do it in writing and not over the phone as they suggest in the letter as you are relying then on the call handler putting everything down 

Putting it in writing gives you more time to get down all you want to put 
  • sarah1977
    sarah1977 Community member Posts: 37 Connected
    edited July 2021
    Options
    @janer1967. Thank you, i got the MR form from the internet, ive filled it in, i wasnt so sure if i just need to send it back to the address on the decision letter.  Im a bit confused with it all. Ive been recieved dla for my daughter for 6 years always got middle rate care and low mobilty she has epilespy which is not totally controlled by medication. So was a bit suprised at there decision. In the last 12 months she has had a few seizures whilst we have been out and about which has resulted is her needed to go to a&e as she has injured herself, the last one being having her head glued,  so i get why she has been awared the mobilty part. The care part is what i dont get, she only got 2 points for preparing food as she can use a mircowave, im no expert but i would have thought she would of got 4 points as she needs supervision to prepare a meal. As she can not use sharp knives to chop veg etc, whithout being supervised, if u getbwhat i mean.
    Bathing was another one which she only score 2points.
    No consdieration was taking into after she has a seizure, currently she is have 2-3 grand mal tonice clonic seizures a week. Her recovery after can be up 2 48hours after, all she does is want to sleep, and is not with it probably. Then i  actually need to wash her and take her to use the toilet..
    Sorry for the long winded reply, but its done my head in. I know MR have a liw acceptence rate , i ll start preparing my apeal now i think
  • jtee
    jtee Community member Posts: 20 Listener
    Options
    Hi Sarah 

sorry to hear about the decision.  What’s your time frame?  I have now been waiting just over 7 months!! The report looks hopeful but I can’t relax until I know.  Ringing up has just met with a brick wall apart from the 1st guy I spoke to in Belfast several weeks ago.
    Good luck with your mr
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @sarah1977

Yes send it to address on letter 

Try not to compare dla and pip they are different with different criteria 

I'm no expert on epilepsy but maybe @woodbine can help you as he has lots knowledge about it 
  • sarah1977
    Options
    @jtee Put claim in december. Telephone assessment was 28th june, i rang up the week later for a copy of the report( ive still not recieved it) decision letter was dated 12th july.
    Id ring up and ask them the wait game is a killer. I found some are really helpful and some are really rude 
  • sarah1977
    Options
    @janer1967. Thank you.
    Any advice from @woodbine would be great.
    Thank you
  • jtee
    Options
    You are on a very similar time scale to me. Hopefully, I will know soon.  Ringing them up is very stressful  and time consuming and I think the post actually walks because a week is a long time.
    I guess the letters sit around in someone’s inbox until the print and post guys get around to issuing it. The if it’s 2nd class post that’s another day or so. So on it goes.  The staff are probably still working from home so there’s less people putting letters in envelopes.  I think I am trying to self soothe here!
    how long is your award for Sarah?  How does it say payments work?  I guess they will pay you whilst you’re appealing?
  • sarah1977
    Options
    @jtee yes its very stressful, hopefully you will here soon.
    Award was for 3 years.  
     My dla will run out on the 10aug, and pip will then start, and payment will start in sept its paid 4 weeks in arrears. 
    Im assuming we will still get the mobilty part whilst MR or appeal is going through, since im asking then to reconsider the daily living part, but i have read somewhere that sometimes they look at all of the claim and they can change any part of the award.
    Ive give up 2nd guessing how there minds work lol 
  • jtee
    Options
    I suppose you have something to appeal.  We never actually got an assessment, just a nurse rang and asking a few clarifying questions but that was probably 7 weeks ago!  Like I mentioned, the copy of the report seemed favourable and the guy in Belfast said the decision was enhanced but the 2 people I have spoken to subsequently have said there’s no decision.  I really don’t want to commit another hour of my life on hold to be told nothing but there should be some kind of time scale.  My son’s dla has until November so I guess they aren’t hurrying but a letter would be good!
    It all seems like a battle for people with disabilities and their carers?
  • jtee
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Well,  I rang again.  40 minutes wait to be told exactly nothing again!! The gentleman who answered was very polite but just said it says awarded.  He can’t find any details or levels and doesn’t know why nothing has happened yet.
    he said he’ll email the decision maker but thinks it’s because my son’s dla doesn’t expire until November!!
    has any one else had this frustration and lack of clarity?
    how are you getting on @sarah1977?  Can I ask if it was atos who did your daughter’s assessment?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.