PIP decision made!... now the wait. A few questions to calm our nerves — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP decision made!... now the wait. A few questions to calm our nerves

Options
CatsMeow
CatsMeow Community member Posts: 17 Connected
I received a call today (well, Saturday initially but I missed it!) on behalf of my Mum. She applied around this time last year. She missed two assessments as she was too scared/had no support. I did not know this. They kept the claim open as they can't close claims relating to MH if they think someone is vunerable.

After realising there is no way she's capable of this process when she told me, I became her appointee and did the assessment for her last Monday (12th) . Today, they wanted my bank account details and said a decision has been made and spoke about arrears.

... sooo I'm guessing that the claim was successful in some way, then?! - and the waiting game starts over the next few days!

She said she's "pushed the button" for the letter to be sent (yesterday, Monday). Any idea of when I'll receive it, or if the payment will come first to my bank before the letter? There is obviously a big difference between £23.70 a week and £152 so we're really quite nervous at the moment!

The woman on the phone today at the DWP was very nice but gave little clues, but her tone/mood wasn't one I'd expect someone would use if we were going to be disappointed, I expect she would have given more details about the MRs and appeals process. She did briefly mention we can appeal at the end of the conversation; so that makes me think it won't be high rate on both, but maybe she has to say this? We then shared a few laughs about the area we weirdly both live in. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but she didn't give the impression she was dealing with a verdict that will bring about disappointment.

Before she hung up she told me to look after myself and my mum which was very nice to see some empathy does exist. They have evidence of my mum previously attempting suicide and sexual abuse, so anyone with an inch of compassion would be hoping she gets support she deserves. But as we know, PIP couldn't care less about that unless it fits their descriptors...

I'm just trying to read between the lines of what she potentially has been awarded. It's good news she seemingly has something after the horror stories I read - especially at the first post - but the carrot tangling is a bit frustrating ? We might yet have to go for a MR, who knows. 

Also - is it worth requesting the assessment report even though we have the full decision from the DWP on the way? I'm quite curious because even though I didn't let her, I could see she was trying to catch me out and was really quite cold. Do you think there is any chance they'd tell us over the phone if I ring tomorrow to ask for the assessors report?

We're just shocked to be honest. We've spent the last few weeks reading horror stories after horror stories. My Mum does have a lot of conditions and in my view should absolutely be on high rate for both... but lets see.

Comments

• Girl_No1
    Girl_No1 Community member Posts: 152 Pioneering
    Options
    That's good news your mother is receiving an award. 

Usually the money arrives before the letter.  Not sure if your bank is like mine and shows transactions pending?  If it does, it will definitely show DWP payments at least a day or two before they arrive in the account.  You'll be able to work out what has been awarded from that.

Personally, I would still request the Assessor's report to keep my records complete if nothing else!  Also, if you need to submit a MR within the short one-month timescale, the sooner you have the report the better to allow you to identify any misunderstandings/inaccuracies on which to base the MR.

Beyond that, I don't think it would be possible (or even sensible) for anyone to offer a definitive/useful/reassuring answer to what the likely award is based on your description of your interaction with the call-handler.  All we can do, in that regard, is keep our fingers crossed your intution is correct and your Mum is not disappointed!  :) 

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @CatsMeow, good to hear about the award and I hope the rate your mum receives is what you wish for. 

We have sent you an email from community@scope.org.uk just to offer our support to you and your mum, it would be great if you could give it a read and get back to us.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello, have you contacted the DWP and requested a copy of the assessment report and on receiving it you can see what the award may should be but you still have to wait for the official award notification letter. Should the report show or indicate not what you expected then by reading the report you can start collecting information and evidence ready to submit an MR once you have received the official PIP award notification letter.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.