employment with ptsd? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

employment with ptsd?

Stellar
Stellar Community member Posts: 129 Pioneering
edited July 2021 in Work and employment
hi,

I'm trying to research what jobs are specifically good for those with PTSD as i'm trying to pursue self-employment but i am hitting huge roadblocks.

i know i want to be self-employed from home as i need to have a role where:
- it is low stress most of the time
- a quiet environment
- flexible hours
- i can focus on generating passive income so i dont have to work 40+ hours a week or be on benefits
- low contact with other people

I'm also absolutely terrified of working in an environment that reminds me of past abuse. this is because two of my abusive relatives are terrible bosses and actively held me back careers wise (one said if i hadn't disabled my disability during my application, he would sack me, but let's be honest, he would not have hired me in the first place).

Plus i've been denied support and accommodations by well-meaning bosses that were promised before or claim its not possible to change their practises when it is like every employer that wouldn't work from home before covid. i know what the anti-discrimination law says but i don't have the money, power or support to use it so in practise it doesn't exist because i can't take an employer to tribunal.

a lot of advice I'm seeing are jobs that although good would clash with my other disabilities (ie. such as being a dog walker or landscaper). i'm autistic and have adhd. I know some behaviours i do without realising could cause issues such as tics but i don't fully know what they are themselves and don't want to put myself at risk of discrimination or trauma resurfacing.

i like the idea of being a writer or some other form of creator (or a librarian if i had to go to the workplace) but would really appreciate some perspectives from others who've been there.

thank you xx
Tagged:

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Stellar

Thanks for your post, I hope you are doing well.

I think being self-employed would be super for you, and clearly it would positively impact your well-being. It all depends on what you enjoy doing really, and whether you can come up with a plan to turn that into work for yourself, which I'm sure you can do.

If you were to work in a workplace with others, I can totally understand your concerns and I'm sorry to read that the thought of working in a workplace brings back memories of the abuse you went through. As we've discussed in the past with you, we will always be here to offer support with what you have been through should you need it, and I hope you are receiving support to manage your mental health.

You might wish to consider accessing one of Scope's many employment services, as a way of receiving advice around preparing for and carrying out work. There are many good employers out there who would certainly do their best to accommodate your needs, it's a shame to hear of the experiences you've had in the past.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Stellar :) I just wanted to check in to see how you've been doing since you last posted. How has the job search been going? Have you had the chance to look into Scope's employment services? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness