Hi, my name is Bridget64! Will my inheritance count as income? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Bridget64! Will my inheritance count as income?

Bridget64
Bridget64 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I could really use some advice please.
I am on ESA (support group) and PIP.
My grandad died in January and I've just found out that I'm going to receive a considerable inheritance £100k+!
I currently rent a 3 bed house from a private landlord but I'm struggling with stairs and bath and so my plan is to buy a bungalow. 
If the dwp consider my inheritance as income I won't be able to do this as I can't live on just my pip.... will I be able to do this?
Thanks folks

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community 

I'm sorry I don't know the answer to your question I know how it affects uc but not esa

Is your esa all contributions based or income based or combined of both 

Other members will be able to help you 

There are several other posts about this topic try the finance section 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2021
    An inheritance is not treated as income, it will be treated as capital. Because the capital amount is over £16,000 this will end your entitlement to means tested benefits.

PIP is not affected.  If any of your ESA is contribution based that will not be affected either. Even if your ESA stops you can continue to receive NI credits for Limited Capability to Work. Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction will also end,

Once your capital falls back below £16,000 you can reapply for means tested benefits. If you are still getting contribution based ESA it can be reassessed for inc9me based, if the ESA has stopped completely you will have to claim UC. Housing Benefit will, of course, no longer be relevant if you have bought a property.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness