Can I get both income related and contribution based ESA? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can I get both income related and contribution based ESA?

sapotts15
sapotts15 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
I have used turn2us calculator and it says I am entitled to ESA income related and ESA contribution based.  Does this mean I would get £114 a week for contribution based and £114 contribution based? Totalling £228 a week? I’m very confused!!! 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community 

If you are a new claimant the only esa you can apply for is new style esa which is contributions based 

You will need to have paid enough ni contributions in prev 2 tax years to be eligible 

You would be paid at the assessment rate until you have been through the work capability process 

The alternative is uc 
  • sapotts15
    I have been in contribution based for 5 years but my circumstances have changed and need income related as well. Can you get both? 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2021
    sapotts15 said:
    I have been in contribution based for 5 years but my circumstances have changed and need income related as well. Can you get both? 
    If you are on contribution based ESA then you can contact ESA and ask to have your entitlement to income based ESA checked. You can receive both (they are two parts of the same benefit). The amount you get will be the same as of it was all income based (assuming that the income based entitlement is more than the £114.10 you currently get).

You do not get £114.10 of contribution based plus £114.10 income based. If you are single and have no other income the income based bit will just be an additional £17.20/week.

What amount of ESA does the calculator say you are entitled to? 

When you ask them to look at your entitlement you will be sent a form to complete detailing your finances (and those of your partner if you have one). After this has been returned DWP will calculate your entitlement.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • sapotts15
    thankyou you all sorted now!! ??

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.