Can PIP get backdated to when I was prescribed medication? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can PIP get backdated to when I was prescribed medication?

Joeed48
Joeed48 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I have just recently filled in a form for PIP as I've been told I can perhaps get on it as I'm mentally disabled.

Would PIP backdate to when I first got my medication/had my first psychiatrist appointment which was back in 2018?

I have made 1 claim before to PIP but didn't submit the forms due to thinking it wasn't for mental disability, but now I'm curious if I can get it backdated to either when I first got medication or backdated to when I first tried to fill out a claim for PIP.

Comments

• Popdiva43
    Popdiva43 Community member Posts: 170 Pioneering
    @Joeed48, if you are successful with your pip claim it only gets backed from when you made your claim
  • Joeed48
    Popdiva43 said:
    @Joeed48, if you are successful with your pip claim it only gets backed from when you made your claim
    So this would mean the most recent claim that I have made today? Not any other claims I have made in the past? 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

Pip will only be back  dated to when you applied this time 

Pip isn't about medication it is about your functionality and ability to perform the descriptors 

If you didn't submit the form last that was your choice so they won't back pay for that

First of all you need to follow the process and see if you are awarded at this time back pay isn't relevant 

New claim are taking around 10 months to complete 
  • Joeed48

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.