Hi, I'm not finding UC to be very helpful — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, I'm not finding UC to be very helpful

Options
carleigh26
carleigh26 Community member Posts: 14 Listener
edited July 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi I am new on here I have read some discussion on universal credit benefits but none that relates to me I have been on the health journey since January I filled in a health form telling them about my illness they revived the form on the 2nd of March 2021 I have received no assessment date I have rang them and don’t find them very helpful they just say I have to wait and they can’t give me no time scale my work coach say it’s nothing to do with them and to keep putting sick note in to them I do have pip but it’s the universal credit I just don’t under why it is taking so long are there any other people waiting this long 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

Your wait isn't that long at current time 

People have been waiting since last year 

Your work coach is correct the assessment company is the one who you are waiting for 

There are still huge backlogs for new claim and you will see on here similar examples 

You need to continue to send in fit notes until a decision has been made 
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    Its very frustrating, but you have been given the correct information. 

There are waits and unfortunately you will just have to wait it out and in the meantime, what your work coach says is true, its nothing to do with them, but you do need to continue with the fit notes to ensure they are continuous 
  • carleigh26
    Options
    Thank you for the replies it just so frustrating and adding to my mental health as struggling financially as well 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @carleigh26 :) I'm sorry to hear that you've been waiting a while, and that this is affecting your mental health. 

Are you able to afford the essentials, such as food, rent, bills etc.?

Are you receiving any support for your mental health at the moment? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • carleigh26
    Options
    I am managing just about with help from family but that make me worse as I have always been independent I have an appointment the 4th august with the mental Heath health team but that is just a telephone call 
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    I'm glad to hear that you're just about managing at least @carleigh26, though I'm sure it can't be easy. There's no shame in having to lean on loved ones when you need it, but I can appreciate that you'd be keen to get your independence back.

I hope that your telephone call on the 4th goes well. Although it's only a call, hopefully it'll be a good opportunity to talk about where you're at and how they might be able to help. 

• carleigh26
    Options
    it’s it’s so hard to come to terms with an illness knowing it’s not going to get better I have osteoporosis and fibromyalgia and also a fused ankle that makes walking difficult I also have problem with my blood clotting so on warfarin for life this all makes me feel so down feeling I am a burden to my daughter when I am in so much pain 
  • carleigh26
    Options
    And need her help to wash and dress
  • Tori_Scope
    edited July 2021
    Options
    I don't think you're a burden to her @carleigh26. Have you spoken to her about how you feel about the fact she helps you out with daily tasks? It might be that chatting to her about it helps to put your mind at rest a bit.

• carleigh26
    Options
    Yes we talk a lot but I can see that she is tired she also has two children and a husband to look after she don’t get time for herself 
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    Is her husband able to help out with the kids @carleigh26

• carleigh26
    Options
    He works long hours

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.