Are you enjoying the hot weather? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Are you enjoying the hot weather?

Tori_Scope
Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
edited July 2021 in Coffee lounge
Well, I don't know about you, but I'm absolutely sweltering today! We British folks like nothing more than complaining about the weather, so I'm interested in knowing whether you've been enjoying the warmer weather today. 
National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Are you enjoying the hot weather? 18 votes

I'm a sizzling sausage, and I'm loving it!
22%
woodbineLisatho11987777steveo928Durhamjaide 4 votes
Much like Tori's largely melted ice lolly, I wish it was a little bit cooler
66%
leeCaleasyjaner1967Tammyjane33OverlyAnxiouschiariedsPixie51Ross_AlumniMarkM88rubin16Duninnpandorasbox 12 votes
I'm cool as a cucumber. I don't mind either way
11%
66MustangLukeChester 2 votes

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Really don't like it too hot like today and the bright light really affects my vision 
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    I don't mind it when there is a decent breeze, but when the fan can't even help cool me down then I hate it
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • rubin16
    rubin16 Community member Posts: 348 Pioneering
    I really don't like hot weather, I love cold weather or when it rains. I'm more of a winter person than a summer one. With cold weather you can wrap up and warm yourself up, but with hot weather its hard to cool down and I feel uncomfortable. I also can't sleep in this weather.
  • Tammyjane33
    Tammyjane33 Community member Posts: 765 Pioneering
    Hi everyone, I don't mind it being warm but would prefer if there was more of a breeze. Because I'm on lots of medications and I have to keep out of direct heat due to my illness) the warm weather makes me feel hotter and sometimes sick. Hope everyone is well ❤️
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm a sizzling sausage, and I'm loving it!
    My motto this year is "If we can't go to the sun then the sun can come to us" seems to be working atm.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    I can’t stand the heat. I’ve had fans on around the house all day yesterday and already got one on this morning. 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Can't stand the heat myself.  :(
  • RDani
    RDani Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    Can't stand the heat personally. I barely ever leave my house and it can get very uncomfortable.  One thing i've learned though about staying cool indoors, which sounds counterintuitive is to keep windows closed during the day, open them all as it starts to get cooler at night and leave them open until the morning. Have been doing that with my fan on 24/7 and It actually works.  
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    I don’t like the heat either. Unfortunately due to global warming it may become the norm especially during our summer months. ☹️

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• JanetMor
    JanetMor Community member Posts: 74 Courageous
    I like the heat but I like it served up with a cool breeze and I only go outside for short periods.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Yep, I've been going out for short bursts too @JanetMor. I think that's the way to do it if you're going to head out!
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Warmth makes me feel better as far as my joints go, but it's just a tad too hot recently. I'm also only out in short bursts, & have to wait for it to cool down to water the garden.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    I don't mind it until the evening when it becomes so hard to sleep
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    RDani said:
    Can't stand the heat personally. I barely ever leave my house and it can get very uncomfortable.  One thing i've learned though about staying cool indoors, which sounds counterintuitive is to keep windows closed during the day, open them all as it starts to get cooler at night and leave them open until the morning. Have been doing that with my fan on 24/7 and It actually works.  
    Windows open over night is just asking for all sorts of wildlife to enter!  :#  I've had to keep my French Door open in the evenings recently (don't have a smaller window) but I'm constantly on spider watch missing half of any TV programme!  :D

I'm keeping the door curtains closed (south facing) until the sun is out of the room as well, roughly 3pm.  I'm not sure of the science behind this, because surely the same amount of heat comes through the window and then can't 'go back' through the glass, but somehow it does actually keep the room cooler!
  • RDani
    RDani Community member Posts: 17 Connected

Windows open over night is just asking for all sorts of wildlife to enter!  :#  I've had to keep my French Door open in the evenings recently (don't have a smaller window) but I'm constantly on spider watch missing half of any TV programme!  :D

I'm keeping the door curtains closed (south facing) until the sun is out of the room as well, roughly 3pm.  I'm not sure of the science behind this, because surely the same amount of heat comes through the window and then can't 'go back' through the glass, but somehow it does actually keep the room cooler!
     Ahh didn't think of that, i'm in a 2nd floor flat  :D
  • LukeChester
    LukeChester Community member Posts: 9 Connected
    I'm cool as a cucumber. I don't mind either way
    We may always complain about the weather  :D   Too cold in winter, too hot in summer, too rainy, too dry, and so on. I complain too, but I try to keep in mind that any weather has its pros and cons  ;)
  • pandorasbox
    pandorasbox Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    My joints are also better in the warmth but my chronic fatigue doesn’t approve?

Brightness