Open University funding for disabled adult learner — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Open University funding for disabled adult learner

Options
nikkif
nikkif Community member Posts: 60 Courageous
Hi can anyone lead me in the right direction. I'm wanting to start an open university course as an adult learner. I'm hoping someone might have some info on funding for the course it's all so confusing on the website as not only am I an adult but I'm also disabled I don't even know how to begin. 
Since my disabilities became apparent I've become more and more houseband and my mental health is starting to take a severe battering. What better way to keep myself busy other than learning. If anyone has been down this route any advice or help you could give would be much appreciated as I'm starting to run out of enrollment time. 
Many thanks from a wannabe learner. Xx

Comments

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    You would need to take out a student loan if you wanted to cover the fees, unless you had the funds ti pay yourself or have an employer sponsor you. 

Bear in mind student finance can have benefit implications. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,656 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Might be an idea to speak to the OU, they should have all the info you need.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Hi @nikkif - Scope has some info that may be helpful. Please see:
    The Open University says, 'you may be able to get Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA) funding to help with study costs. You don't have to be registered disabled, and it's not age or income related.'  
    They also have a 'Disability support' website: This includes 'How to get disability support & funding.' Please see: https://help.open.ac.uk/browse/disability/disability-support-and-funding

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @nikkif

Thanks for posting, and sorry to hear of the stress this is causing you. I hope the advice from other members has been helpful, in addition to taking a look at those resources and following the suggestions you might want to contact Disability Rights UK's disabled student helpline, they may be able to talk through any of your concerns and provide answers.

It's a shame to hear that your mental health is taking a battering, as you say. Do you receive support to manage your mental health? Is your GP aware of how you feel at the minute?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • nikkif
    Options
    @Ross_Scope hi Ross thank you for your concern. Yes my gp is aware of how much this is affecting although I have had 2 rounds of counselling it's still an ongoing issue as my physical health continues to get worse so does my mind. That'd why I feel its really important to try and find something productive to do. The pills they just keep throwing at me are not doing any good. I just need something hopeful to hold onto. But thank you. ?
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @nikkif

Thanks for your reply, I understand. It seems as though this study would be that thing that provides you with hope, so I hope you are able to persist with it :) 

What do you think you would study at the open university?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • nikkif
    Options
    Criminology and sociology diploma is what I've enrolled for. 

Brightness