Awarded PIP but not what i expected — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Awarded PIP but not what i expected

martyc
martyc Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited July 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
A quick background is i was diagnosed with 2 unrelated types of cancer last year. Following extensive medical intervention and chemoradiotheraphy it's in remission but the treatment has taken a heavy toll. Vocal palsy 1 side, extensive disk damage in back as in disks either disintegrated and no longer present or bulging and all the usual side effects of treatment killing cancer faster than it kills you. 
I applied because my mobility has taken a massive hit and the pain is off the scale. I never had a face to face or telephone review but was awarded the standard daily living component. Admittedly i need help where before i never did but it was my daily mobility that was the real issue but the assessor deemed that i can walk more than 50 but less than 200m . Well yes i can but more often than not i can't. For instance last week i spent 4 days horizontal on back as literally couldn't move and this is how it goes most weeks. It's a trade off for doing an activity one day and paying the price the following 4 days. 
I've provided all the medical evidence they need scans etc but they say that because it's in the early stages of treatment they can't award the mobility part of PIP but to get back in touch if things change. 
Any advice on what to do would be appreciated. 

Comments

• dave392
    dave392 Community member Posts: 42 Courageous
    Ask for a mandatory reconsideration pointing out where you think you should have scored points and send them a diary of how much you are affected 
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @martyc, hello and welcome to the community. I have to agree with @dave392 request an MR, sending extra supporting information, evidence on the descriptors where you think you should have scored points but didn’t. Remain focused and to the point. You must be able to cope,manage the PIP descriptors safely, repeatedly and in a timely manner for 50% of your daily living activities. Keeping a dairy is good idea as memory can not be accurate or reliable. Plus you can send a copy of your dairy to submit as your extra evidence. The dairy can be A4 sheets one for each descriptor with times and details of what happens when you try or attempt the descriptor.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2021
    martyc said:
    ... they say that because it's in the early stages of treatment they can't award the mobility part of PIP ..
    It sounds as if it may not be what impact you experience that is the issue, rather whether or not these are short term treatment side effects or long term impacts.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-assessment-guide-for-assessment-providers/pip-assessment-guide-part-1-the-assessment-process#prognosis
    1.9.1 Entitlement to PIP is dependent on the functional effects of a health condition or impairment having been determined as likely to have been present at the required level for at least 3 months and being expected to last for at least a further 9 months. These periods are known respectively as the ‘qualifying period’ and ‘prospective test’. CMswill decide whether these conditions are met but need advice from the HP on how long the condition has been present and how long it is likely to last.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.