Question to mobility scooter users. How many miles can you get out of your mobility scooter? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Question to mobility scooter users. How many miles can you get out of your mobility scooter?

kelics
kelics Community member Posts: 84 Courageous
Hi, how many miles can you get out of your mobility scooter?
I went down to the beach with a friend and only managed 3.6miles before it started to beep.

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @kelics :) Did you enjoy your trip to the beach?

I'm not a mobility scooter user, but I hope someone with some experience will come along soon! I've added a bit to the title of your post so that other members will be able to see what your question is more easily. I've also moved your post into our disability aids, equipment, and technology category.

I did find this article on the Motability website, which you might like to read. It's about how manufacturers work out distance range, and also how to look after your batteries. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • kelics

Hey @Tori_Scope

It was lovely, glad to be out in public again :)

Oh I'm really sorry I just couldn't find the right category. Also sorry for messing up the future posts :D.

Thanks for adding to the title!

I was looking more for user experience. My scooter says it is meant to go 10miles, but it goes less than half of that, so that is why I want to ask other users.

Thanks a lot for sharing the motability article, ill take a look.

Peace \/

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi 

I have had 8 miles from mine would have probably done another mile 
  • exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering
    Hi @kelics   my scooter gives me around 9 miles at a push 4.5 miles or 1 hour each way.  The user manual says 16 miles but it has a maximum weight capacity of 21 stone. I'm just under that.  The claimed mileage is calculated under lab testing conditions but really should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• kelics
    @exdvr hmm.i was actually thinking of returning amd speaking to the owner. He said "if u manage to run it dry, come and see me" well, do u think i should come and see him? He seems to be a nice guy..
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    kelics said:
    @exdvr hmm.i was actually thinking of returning amd speaking to the owner. He said "if u manage to run it dry, come and see me" well, do u think i should come and see him? He seems to be a nice guy..
    If he seems to be a nice person then there's no harm in going and speaking with him, he may be able to help.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • kelics
    @Ross_Scope might do actually, but before i need i need to get more info, maybe the way scooter acts is just normal...
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Okay @kelics, sounds like a plan. I hope you are able to get to the bottom of it soon.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering
     What make and model is your scooter?  Just asking out of curiosity.  Mine is a Kymco Mini Comfort and I'm well pleased with it.  I'm sure I'd be even more pleased if I could lose a few stones of weight.

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• kelics
    @exdvr haha, well speaking of personal experience just eating less does the trick, i have MS so cant exercise much. You can do it!

Its a class2 car-boot Zest scooter. I know nothing about mob scooters :)
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello scooter users, I have been a mobility scooter user for 4 plus years now and I can safely advise people on what size or type of scooter they should buy rent or lease. Where do you want to go, terrine distance, shopping trips days out a boot scooter is ideal. I have one air tyres and suspension, comes apart to fit into to boot. But for off road parkland across public footpaths over fields where I can access I have a class 3 model with good ground clearance and full road lighting ant duel speed plus came with 100 batteries giving me 10 miles using pavement, hard dirt tracks through woodland and across a field. So think before you buy it horses for courses. 
  • kelics
    @wilko i think ill settle with easy/moderate paths for now. Glad you get 10miles, mine only does half of that ;/
    Thanks for your comment!
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @kelics, in my reply I wrote 100 battries it should have read 100 amp batteries, changed them fromAGM to GEl format batteries not cheap £600 for the 2 and 4 new tyres £48 a piece no VAT as exempt as disabled, the joys of owning your own scooter.
  • kelics
    @wilko 600 for batteries?! Some price for just the batteries

Brightness