Should I have received my first LCWRA payment this month? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Should I have received my first LCWRA payment this month?

bee0101
bee0101 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
edited July 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi
I was accepted as needing LCWRA, I put my 1st sick note in on the 15th March, I told the uc I was sick on the 8th March. 
I know there is a 3 month wait period. I get uc on the 18th of each month. The extra money for wca isn't showing on July statement. I have asked uc about it but they haven't replied, should I be getting the wca money this month? 
Tagged:

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2021
    Your AP runs from 12th to 11th each month. you reported illness on 8th March backed up by Fit Note within 7 days.
    The waiting period of three full months is 12th March - 11th April, 12th April - 11th May and 12th May to 11th June. LCWRA should therefore be included for 12th June to 11th July payable on 18th July.
    Post a note in your journal re payments querying why it is not included on statement.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • bee0101
    Thank you, the uc messaged back saying it will be included when the assessment is done. But I had the assessment on the 11th May & got a letter stating i am eligible on 12th May. I'm confused.
  • calcotti
    bee0101 said:
    Thank you, the uc messaged back saying it will be included when the assessment is done. But I had the assessment on the 11th May & got a letter stating i am eligible on 12th May. I'm confused.
    That may be a reference to 'assessment' as in the monthly assessment period rather than the health assessment. I suggest a full reply along the lines of
    I am still not clear why the LCWRA element has not been included in my July statement.
    My monthly period runs from 12th to 11th each month. I reported my illness to you on 8th March backed up by a Fit Note within 7 days. My understanding is that the waiting period of three full months is therefore 12th March - 11th April, 12th April - 11th May and 12th May to 11th June. The LCWRA is therefore payable for 12th June to 11th July and should appear on my recent statement.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • bee0101
    So is LCWRA awarded 3 months after the first sick note or 3 months after they do the assessment & accept you are entitled? Because I didn't have my assessment until 11th May, & got the letter on 12th May saying I'm entitled.
  • calcotti
    edited July 2021
    bee0101 said:
    So is LCWRA awarded 3 months after the first sick note or 3 months after they do the assessment & accept you are entitled? 
    The waiting period during which extra money is not paid is the three complete monthly UC periods following the date you reported the health condition.

As per previous post, you reported on 8th March so the three relevant months should be those from 12th March to 11th June and you are entitled to the extra for 12th June to 11th July payable on 18th July.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi 

As explained above it us awarded on the 4th month after reporting the condition 

Calcotti has detailed the dates of the waiting period for you and when you will be paid from 
  • bee0101
    Yes I understand thank you. Uc are saying the 3 month waiting period is since I was awarded which was on the 12th May. But everywhere I have looked for advice says its 3 months from 1st evidence. 
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    bee0101 said:
    Yes I understand thank you. Uc are saying the 3 month waiting period is since I was awarded which was on the 12th May. But everywhere I have looked for advice says its 3 months from 1st evidence. 
    You may have to remind them of that in your journal. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    They often give that incorrect answer the call handler doesn't always have the best knowledge 

Your decision maker should be aware and hopefully pay you correctly 
  • calcotti
    edited July 2021
    bee0101 said:
    Not clear if this is a telephone conversation you have had or a reply in your journal. Either way the statement is wrong.

If this was a journal message post a further message yourself and refer them to their own guidance - Advice for Decision making: staff guide, paragraphs F5030 and F5031 apply.

You can find the document here
    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/864911/admf5.pdf
  • bee0101
    Morning. Uc are not getting back to me! I rang & the man agreed we should of got the lcwra this month & a query has been raised. On the journal they said 'i am sending this back to the jobcentre for them to contact you' 
    Since then nothing! How long do I wait? Thanks 
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    I don’t believe it’s the job centres job, they don’t do the calculations. It’s UC that you need to get through to. Have you specifically asked to speak to your case manager? 
  • calcotti
    bee0101 said:
    Morning. Uc are not getting back to me! 
    You are not alone. There are huge delays for all aspects of DWP admin at the moment.
  • bee0101
    Have spoken to uc helpline & they say we missed the date for this months lcwra as I notified i was sick on 8th March & put sick note in on 15th March but our payment gets processed on 11th & then we get paid on 18th. Do you think this is correct? 
  • calcotti
    edited July 2021
    I consider them to be wrong. They appear to be taking the date you provided a Fit Note on 15th March as the key date but you are allowed to self certify for 7 days so if you reported the condition on 8th March that is the key date. This means it was reported in the AP 12th February to 11th March. The ‘relevant period is therefore 12th March to 11th June and you are entitled to the LCWRA element for 12th June to 11th July.

Paragraph F5031 which I referenced in an earlier reply
    F5031 The relevant period is three months beginning
    1. in relevant threshold cases (where the claimant has weekly earnings at or above the relevant threshold and is entitled to DLA or PIP), on
    1.1 the first day of the award of UC or
    1.2 if later, the date on which the claimant applies for the LCWRA element
    to be included in the award or
    2. in any other case, on the first day on which the claimant provides medical evidence of LCW.
    Note 1: See ADM Chapter G1 (Work capability assessment) for guidance on relevant threshold cases.
    Note 2: Medical evidence includes a self-certificate for the first seven days of LCW.
    If you have not done so, do as i suggested previously and post a note in your journal setting out what you think to be the correct interpretation and reference the guidance. If this doesn’t get it corrected you can request a Mandatory Reconsideration of the decision not to include LCWRA element for this period.
  • bee0101
    Morning just an update. They have got back to me & they are going to manually pay us for the lcwra this month. My advise is to keep on at them if u believe something isn't right! Thanks so much for your advise.
  • calcotti
    edited July 2021
    It shouldn't be necessary for claimants to know the rules in order to get the correct payments but I'm glad it's sorted. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.