Should I inform UC that I've been awarded PIP? Will my LCW group now change? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Should I inform UC that I've been awarded PIP? Will my LCW group now change?

antc
antc Community member Posts: 41 Connected
edited July 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
hello.. I am now on pip so do I need to tell universal credit I am now on it or will they automatically know? also I am in the limited capabilitiy work group on universal credit so does this also change now I get pip.. thanks

Comments

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    UC & PiP are 2 separate benefits. 

If you have LCW, receiving PiP does not automatically change that to LCWRA I’m afraid. 
  • rubin16
    rubin16 Community member Posts: 349 Pioneering
    Hi,

PIP and UC are completley different benefits so nothing changes to your UC when your on PIP and it doesn't matter if they know or not. PIP is all about how you manage tasks and is not means tested, whereas UC is about your medical conditions and whether or not you can work, and is means tested.

• antc
    so do I need to leave a note on my journal that I now get pip or it doesn't matter.. just wondering if need to tell them. thanks
  • rubin16
    rubin16 Community member Posts: 349 Pioneering
    It doesn't matter, PIP doesn't affect UC or has anything to do with it. You can claim pip and still work or claim pip and UC at the same time it doesn't matter.

Theres no need to inform them your claiming PIP as it has no affect on UC and will just be ignored, but if you feel better doing so you can tell them, just it won't do anything whether you tell them or not.
  • Popdiva43
    Popdiva43 Community member Posts: 170 Pioneering
    Yes I informed uc about my pip through my journal last week and they've just ignored it. 
  • antc
    ok thanks for the advice.. much appreciated..
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    If you are a single claimant living alone getting PIP will make no difference. You don’t need to tell them but it will do no harm for you to do so. A brief journal message will do.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @antc

I'm glad our members were able to answer your questions and good news about the PIP award (I'm presuming this was a recent decision?).

Just to advise: I've amended the title of your thread to capture your questions and make them more visible to others.  Please ask away if you have anything else on your mind.  Take care.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • antc
    cheers... and on the pip decision letter it says inappropriate to fix a term.. so any idea how long the claim could last or do they review me again in a year or two
  • gail57
    gail57 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Probably in 3 years

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.