Hi, my name is jakelockyer1! I live with hypophosphatasia, and am hoping to meet new friends — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is jakelockyer1! I live with hypophosphatasia, and am hoping to meet new friends

jakelockyer1
jakelockyer1 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited July 2021 in Start here and say hello!
Hi everyone! 
My name is Jake, I am 28 years old, suffering from a rare bone condition called hypophosphatasia, limiting my mobility and causing chronic pain. 
I am hoping to meet new friends around Sussex area, I live near Gatwick myself.  Over the years I have found it hard to fit in with friends due to my restrictions (need two crutches to walk) would anyone be interested in meeting up? whether you also had mobility struggles, chronic pain etc. be nice to be in a similar situation 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community 

Sorry I'm not from the area just wanted to welcome you 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @jakelockyer1 :) Thanks for joining, and for telling us a bit about yourself. It's great to meet you. 

I'm sorry that you've found it difficult to fit in with friends due to your more limited mobility. I hope that you can find some like-minded people to chat to here on the community.

You can view all of the categories of discussion we facilitate here on the categories page. In particular, you may be interested in the coffee lounge, which is the home of our casual chat and games, and the chronic pain category.

Please don't hesitate to give us a shout if you need anything!
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jakelockyer1 - & welcome to the community from me too. You might be interested in the Outsiders Club which is for people with physical/mental problems. They do have an online section, but also, when things improve, they have lunches where you can meet up, & they do have some of these in London, & the Home Counties so there might be one you could attend. Please see: https://outsiders.org.uk/club/the-outsiders-club/
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,585 Disability Gamechanger
    We see so many of these types of thread and I've been looking for something similar myself for a few years as well.  It's a shame there aren't more of the 'Outsiders' type thing around as the demand seems to be there.

I find many 'normal' people don't realise how difficult it is to meet new people at our age with significant health restrictions, especially if you're unable to work or study as well.  I also found that I was always a burden in the small group I occasionally met up with, although they never said anything.  It's been 3 years since I saw them last as we just 'drifted' due to their lack of time and my lack of ability.

I don't know what the answer is, but I do hope you find someone local to meet up with.  :)
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Just wanted to wish you a warm welcome to the community @jakelockyer1

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @jakelockyer1 :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019

Brightness