LWCRA And Debt Management — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

LWCRA And Debt Management

Indego123
Indego123 Community member Posts: 16 Listener
edited July 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi, I got accepted for LWCRA after waiting for over a year. I would just like to know if and when the arrears they owe me get sent to debt management can any debt (ie: Council Tax) be deducted or is it just any debt I owe the DWP. Thank you :smile:
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there and welcome to the community 

It is just dwp or tax debts like tax credits 

I'm not sure about council tax tbh 
  • Indego123
    Hi and thank you for your reply. I am not too worried if they do take it as it would still leave enough for me personally. Was just curious. Thank you :smile:
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2021
    janer1967 said: It is just dwp or tax debts like tax credits 
    Being picky but a tax credit debt is not a tax debt. Tax Credits have nothing to do with tax (despite the name).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • janer1967
    Yes very picky but thanks 
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Has the council tax debt been passed on to DWP to collect from benefits at the moment?

Years ago I got into some financial hardship and had a debt owing and eventually it got deducted from my benefits.

So I don't know if whether if it has been passed across whether they can just take the full amount owing from a back payment. 

Obviously if the council tax debt is with the council still then no because they have nothing to do with the back payment. 
  • Indego123
     MarkN88,Yes, the council tax debt got passed on to DWP to collect from my benefits. I phoned the council a while back asking them to take a higher amount as all other debts had been paid off. They said they could not raise the amount as they could only take a certain amount. That's why i was just interested to know if now because i have no other debts on my clam if the council can take the outstanding amount from my LWCRA back payment. Thank you.
  • janer1967
    If it has been passed to dwp like you say then yes they will most likely clear the debt from your arrears payment 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.