Hi, I'm Carter77! Unable to attend for WCA but DWP keep re-scheduling, what can I do? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, I'm Carter77! Unable to attend for WCA but DWP keep re-scheduling, what can I do?

Options
Carter77
Carter77 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited July 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
I've been through such an ordeal with claiming benefits this year, I suffered depression and anxiety and I was and still am  taking medication for this. This was when claiming PIP and now I have to basically do the same for Universal Credit because I am currently not able to work due to post viral fatigue. I emailed them a letter from my GP explaining why I cannot do the assessment and yet the only answer I am getting is "The DWP needs the information" they keep rescheduling the appointment as they say they cannot cancel the appointment. What can I do? Im sure Im not the only patient in the country that is not able to do assessments and they have all the information they need from the questionnaire I filled out. 

I hope you can help me because currently this situation is stuck.

Thanks so much
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there and welcome to the community 

Is there anyone who could be with you to get through an assessment 

Did you have a assessment for pip 

You can request a paper based and it sounds like your gp has asked for that 

I would call and ask to speak to your case manager or get them to call back so you can get this sorted 

Maybe contact welfare rights for advice 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Hi @Carter77 and welcome to our community.  I'm sorry to hear the assessment is causing you worry.  Are you currently getting support with your depression and anxiety?

One option you have is to contact the Health Assessment Advisory Service.  This Citizens Advice webpage about getting Universal credit if you're sick or disabled advises:
    Tell the Health Assessment Advisory Service straight away if you can't go to your assessment. Their contact details will be on the letter you get. They can rearrange the assessment if you have a good reason and you tell them at least 1 day in advance. If you don't tell them you won't be classed as having LCW or LCWRA.
    You can ask the assessors for a home assessment if you're too ill to get to the assessment.
    You can also ask for adjustments if you'd need any help at the assessment, for example:
    • going up and down stairs
    • getting out of a chair in a waiting room
    • moving from room to room
    It's worth telling the assessor about any adjustments you need if you already mentioned them when you sent your form back.
    Do you think you could manage a home assessment?  It would allow you to be in the comfort of your home, have someone present for support and perhaps take the pressure off a little?

Just to advise: I've tweaked the title of your thread and moved it to our UC category so more people can spot it :)  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Carter77
    Options
    janer1967 said:
    Hi there and welcome to the community 

Is there anyone who could be with you to get through an assessment 

Did you have a assessment for pip 

You can request a paper based and it sounds like your gp has asked for that 

I would call and ask to speak to your case manager or get them to call back so you can get this sorted 

Maybe contact welfare rights for advice 
    Hello,, no, Im currently living with my mum, she's an OAP and has anxiety problems of her own. 
    I had a telephone assessment for PIP and that's when I discovered my difficulties although it wasn't obvious to the assessor, which the doctors letter explained about. The assessor seemed understanding to everything I was saying yet did not clarify this to the decision makers and they even made points in their letter of refusal about things that were not even discussed. I had to go through a reconsideration which took stress and months to complete with the support from the ME association. 

So there's a paper based option instead of assessment? This would be better for me although I'm sure I've given all the relevant information in the questionnaire, but yes anything further they can just write to me. Why is it such a problem??

I've sent journal messages to my work coach twice about it - still waiting for reply.

Thanks for your help! I'll also contact CAB about this.
  • Carter77
    edited July 2021
    Options
    <moderator removed duplicate quotes>

Cher_Scope said:
    Hi @Carter77 and welcome to our community.  I'm sorry to hear the assessment is causing you worry.  Are you currently getting support with your depression and anxiety?
    One option you have is to contact the Health Assessment Advisory Service.  This Citizens Advice webpage about getting Universal credit if you're sick or disabled advises:
    Tell the Health Assessment Advisory Service straight away if you can't go to your assessment. Their contact details will be on the letter you get. They can rearrange the assessment if you have a good reason and you tell them at least 1 day in advance. If you don't tell them you won't be classed as having LCW or LCWRA.
    You can ask the assessors for a home assessment if you're too ill to get to the assessment.
    You can also ask for adjustments if you'd need any help at the assessment, for example:
    going up and down stairs
    getting out of a chair in a waiting room
    moving from room to room
    It's worth telling the assessor about any adjustments you need if you already mentioned them when you sent your form back.
    Do you think you could manage a home assessment?  It would allow you to be in the comfort of your home, have someone present for support and perhaps take the pressure off a little?
    Just to advise: I've tweaked the title of your thread and moved it to our UC category so more people can spot it :)  

Hi Cher, no home assessment, the point is Im mentally exhausted from trying to explain. Thank you for your help though!

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.