Hi, my name is Tazuk! I have DDD and OA — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Tazuk! I have DDD and OA

Tazuk
Tazuk Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited August 2021 in Start here and say hello!
Hi
I have DDD and OA and was very interested the forum chats on these issues.  I have had OA for over 20 years and DDD for the last 5.  I always thought i would have to just struggle on through by myself.  Appears not now :smiley:

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Tazuk. It's great to have you with us, so thanks for joining!

I'm glad you've been able to find some discussions relating to your degenerative disc disease and osteoarthritis that've been helpful. You're certainly not alone :) Please continue taking a look around the community, and getting involved in other discussions.

How have you found living with your conditions? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Tazuk - & welcome to the community. I have generalised OA; one of many of our members. I look forward to seeing you around the forum joining in with discussions you find of interest.  :)

• Tazuk
    Tazuk Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Welcome to the community @Tazuk. It's great to have you with us, so thanks for joining!

I'm glad you've been able to find some discussions relating to your degenerative disc disease and osteoarthritis that've been helpful. You're certainly not alone :) Please continue taking a look around the community, and getting involved in other discussions.

How have you found living with your conditions? 
    Hi Tori

Not sure if i am replying correctly to you post?

I am having it hard trying to keep my anger and frustration at not being able to do things i used to consider "normal"  Under control, or in my head!  It is 99% directed at my self, but others think it is directed at them!  If say to myself (appears loudly)  "FFS sort it out"  they think i am directing it at them?  But NO!  I am talking to myself, trying to get to pick a cup or pan up or get dressed!  
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Tazuk and a warm welcome from me too :)

You replied correctly to @Tori_Scope and quoted what she said.  To note - if ever you don't want to include a quote but reply to someone, just put an @ before their username so they know you're 'speaking' to them.

I understand how you could become frustrated dealing with the challenges of your impairments.  It can definitely test our patience and bring about emotions that are hard to manage.  Are you able to talk with those around you and explain more about what's going on?  If not, would it be a conversation you'd feel comfortable having? 

Also, do you get enough support with your DDD and OA from a clinical team? Having these outlets to speak about not only the physical, but emotional side of our conditions can be really beneficial and I hope you have that support should you need it.

It's great to have you on our community and I'm looking forward to speaking more in the future.  Take care.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi again @Tazuk - I wonder if you might be interested in things that may help you; I know I rely on several. Please have a look at the shop I (& other members) have used: https://www.completecareshop.co.uk/
    For example, you mention difficulty with picking up a cup; you could try something like the following, tho there are many different drinking aids to browse. Please see: https://www.completecareshop.co.uk/kitchen-aids/cups/nosey-cups/deluxe-nosey-cup-with-handles?sku=Q96989     you can also get these a bit cheaper as a pack of 3.
    There's a simple online VAT exemption form, for which you would qualify. There are aids for dressing, kitchen aids, etc.
    Hope something there may help you find your 'new normal.' :)
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    @Tazuk Thinking some more about this (and prompted by @chiarieds handy suggestion), I wondered if you'd ever explored having a needs assessment.  These can be requested from your local authority and are a good way of identifying any aids, adaptations or services that might be able to help you better manage day to day.  Here's a link to some NHS information around what needs assessments entail and a government webpage through which you can apply for one online. 

Also, are you in receipt of/or have considered claiming PIP?  If you don't want to share anything, please don't feel any pressure to but the difficulties you discuss in relation to your impairments mean it might be worth exploring if not.  Again, here's a link to Scope's PIP information page which has more details.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Brightness