Struggling to afford gardening costs and stay in home. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Struggling to afford gardening costs and stay in home.

Oldhippie
Oldhippie Community member Posts: 9 Connected
Good morning all.  I have a very worrying dilema. I live in a housing association property which I love. It's a bungalow in a quiet village. I have been here 8 years, but due to recent health issues, breast cancer, back surgery and more, I am no longer able to do things in the garden. There are some very overgrown trees which worry me as I can't afford to pay someone to trim them.  I pay an Age UK gardener £40 a fortnight to cut the grass and do a bit of weeding, and £100 to a local man who trimmed the large hedge here. I am on Pension credit, so finances aren't too great.  I have registered on the Homeswapper site, but haven't found anywhere suitable yet. To be honest, I'm not sure I have the energy to move.  It's all a huge worry to me. I asked the housing association if they could assist with the tree work, but they say it's my responsibility. I'm overwhelmed with everything, not least my cancer aftercare, and feel I'm being pressured to move as I can't afford to upkeep the garden any more.  It seems that every spare penny I get goes on people to help in the garden, which is silly.  I really don't know what to do.  I've never felt so low as I do at the moment.  If anyone can offer some suggestions as to which way to turn I would be very grateful. Thanks.

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Oldhippie How are you today?

Aww, I'm sorry to hear things are difficult with paying for your garden upkeep.  It sounds an expensive do to say the least.  

The government have this 'Garden maintenance for elderly or disabled council tenants' webpage that, if you enter your postcode, should take you through to any services your local authority can offer.

While, there might also be people/organisations close to you who could help, would you be able to give us a rough idea of your location (no need to go into detail to keep your identity protected) so we can do a search for you?

You mention that you're feeling low and have recently had cancer.  That must have been a tough ordeal to go through  :(  Is your GP/healthcare team providing you with any emotional support?  If not, maybe this would be a conversation worth having to express how you're feeling and see what they recommend.  What do you think to that?

Take care and try not to worry too much, we'll get our heads together to think of some more ways to help.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Oldhippie
    Thank you for the information Cher.  I will certainly go to the link you have given.  I'm just outside Milton Keynes.  The doctor is aware of how I feel, but I can only get a telephone consultation, and I'm aware of how overloaded they are, so I'm not too keen to put any more pressure on them.  I think the younger generation deserve the NHS more at this moment in time.
  • Oldhippie
    I contacted the link you provided, which takes me to my local council.  I have already been in touch with them, who advised me to contact my housing association (VAHT) and they can't help either.  They say it's the tenant's responsibility. Thanks again for your assistance.
  • atlas47
    atlas47 Community member Posts: 238 Pioneering
    Hi @Oldhippie

Try this link about assistance with gardening.

https://www.guhg.co.uk/help-advice/help/gardening/

They might provide you with other organisations, to try.

Also try searching for grants for gardening and your postcode.

Hope this helps.

Keep us informed.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Oldhippie, commiserations regarding your present difficulties, I hope you can find a resolution as soon as possible. Best wishes and try not to get too down about things Im sure a solution will present itself.

have you tried placing an advert for a youngster to do some gardening etc locally?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Oldhippie
    Hi Atlas47.  Thank  you for your response and your interest in my predicament.  I will try the link you have provided. Thanks again.
  • atlas47
    atlas47 Community member Posts: 238 Pioneering
    Hi @Oldhippie

Here is another gardening charity, they cover all England.

The link is based on my area.

https://www.groundwork.org.uk/hubs/northwest/

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.