Leaving employment to care or someone — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Leaving employment to care or someone

Dryden
Dryden Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited December 2021 in Children, parents, and families
i am on ESA in the support group and claim PIP. My partner claims carers allowance for looking after me and works part time. What happens if my partner finishes her part time work to look after me. Will this effect our weekly living allowance.

Comments

• ShelleyT
    ShelleyT Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hi, if she leaves work to look after you then she could be added into your claim so she would not be caring and losing her money for nothing. Your claim should change to a joint claim with any premiums reflecting that change also.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2021
    ShelleyT said:
    Hi, if she leaves work to look after you then she could be added into your claim so she would not be caring and losing her money for nothing. Your claim should change to a joint claim with any premiums reflecting that change also.
    The above information is incorrect. If you are on the old type of ESA your ESA should already be a joint claim (assuming your partner lives with you) and her earnings will be taken into account as income. If it is new style ESA it cannot become a couple claim. She will still be a carer after she stops work and will continue to get CA.

To explain what will happen to your benefits we need to know what type of ESA you receive. Is it new style ESA or the old type of ESA (contribution based, income based or a combination of both)?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness