Do DMS always go with what assessors say and recommend? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do DMS always go with what assessors say and recommend?

Options
shadyswife1
shadyswife1 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
edited August 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi
Without going into too much detail as we will be here all day, I just received my assessment report back. I did a change of circumstances due to my condition deteriorating since last award, also knew diagnosis's. 

It was a telephone assessment due to Covid 19, The assessor has written that they heard me stand up drink a drink and take medication and take tablets. This has really upset me because it was a load of nonsense, I sat on my bed throughout the whole assessment and did not get up once. However I did have a drink on my bedside tablet and had a drink when needed. As for the tablets I didn't take any medication at that time I only reached in my bedside table draw to remind myself of how many mgs  im on when I was asked. How can he hear something that didn't happen?

Also he said that I had said I was holding my phone to my ear when asked, Firstly he didn't ask me because if he did I would of said I was using my earphones with my phone on the bed because I was.

When asked when was the last time I see a physio therapist he wrote I said 4 years ago again wrong as i said for a year (due to Covid) but i said i still continue to manage therapy aided by my sister.

When asked If i was under mental health I said i was re referred by my GP i have a appt in sept but can't remember the date of the top of my head, He then wrote my mental health is managed by GP I have no future appts with mental health team.

Also he did make clear at the start of the assessment that as its not face to face and that physical examinations will not be take able to undergo and DWP will take that into consideration. But he also said that he has based majority of his decisions for each point  criteria based on my 2019 assessment. How is he even allowed to do this ? the whole reason for my change of circumstances is because my health has deteriorated rapidly since summer of 2020.

My question is do decision makers make majority of their decisions based on what the assessor advises and says?

Comments

• shadyswife1
    Options
    Hi thanks for reply. 
     I did write how it affects me and also had a lot of NHS letters from various consultants explaining how i am affected mobility and day to day living. They didn't write this for PIP though it was from seeing them in clinic and them writing notes to my GP and sending me patient copies. But they do explain in detail how affected I am and how my conditions have worsened.

Do you think i would benefit getting a letter written up explaining the assessors mistakes before the DM makes a decision?

Also Muscle dystrophy have also written a letter to PIP on behalf of me with great detail on my condition how it progresses and then each section of the point system and why they believe I deserve the points for it.

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,658 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There are dangers with "change of circumstances", however the best thing you can do now is to wait for the DM's decision, and do some research on MR's meanwhile.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• shadyswife1
    Options
    What i meant was my condition and how it affects me personally with each descriptor.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.