Backdate payment on a change of circumstances clame — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Backdate payment on a change of circumstances clame

Uptonmillard
Uptonmillard Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi everyone i am confused and frustrated should my daughters DLA change be backdated till when we notified them of it?

The backstory 
after over an hour trying to speak to a human at DWP i am still non the wiser and get the feeling that the staff at DWP know less about DLA than I do, Our Daughter had a vision assessment in April and was registed as blind insted of partially sighted we rand DWP and had a form come to fill in we returned the form in early may (had to wait for the paperwork from tje hospital) fast forward to tuesday this week (Aug 10th) we get 77.70 show uo from dla no idea why then today a letter showing my daughter has been awarded higher rate mobility (was already on high rate care and low mobility) from 21st July 2021 my question i wanted answerd but they couldn't is why is my daughter only been backdated to the end of july when we notified them of the change in April shouldn't she be backdated tonthe date we notified them of the change in circumstances? Apparantaly they are going to call me back after investigating but I think they was just trying to get me off the phone after they couldnt answer my question

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    DLA is not a benefit with which I am familiar but generally for benefits where you report a change of circumstances I would expect an increased award to be backdated to when you reported the change.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

When you call the helpline it is manned by outsourced call handlers who work from scripts so the information given isn't always the best 

I presume dla is the same as pip and the award would be backdated to when the change was reported like you say 

Hopefully they will pass your query to your case manager who should be able to clear things up 

If not call again and request to speak to the case manager or ask for a call back 
  • Uptonmillard
    Thanks for your replies, I am not aware of having a case handler how do you find out who it is? 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    You can't find out who it is but when you call the call handler will know who is assigned to your daughters case 
  • Uptonmillard

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.