Am I still entitled to furlough after 16th August? I'm ill with Covid-19 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Am I still entitled to furlough after 16th August? I'm ill with Covid-19

sceneparade
sceneparade Community member Posts: 95 Courageous
edited August 2021 in Work and employment
Good afternoon everyone, 

I am currently in furlough as a result of a positive Covid-19 test. However, due to a pre-existing asthma condition it may take a little longer to recover. Am I still entitled to furlough from my employer after Monday? I am not exactly isolating but I am suffering and recovering from Covid-19. Government furlough stops 30th September. 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

You will need to speak to your employer as if they are providing work you may not be entitled to furlough 

Also as you have reported being sick and on sick leave furlough may not be entitled 

I'm not sure about furlough conditions so hope other members can help 

You can also look on acas website it may have some advice 
  • sceneparade
    My wage slip today doesn't say sick pay, but Covid payment. I am off with Covid, I haven't been signed off as sick. 
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    edited August 2021

If you’re self-isolating or on sick leave

The Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme is not intended for short term absences from work due to sickness.

Short term illness or self-isolation should not be a consideration when deciding if you’ll be furloughed.

If your employer wants to furlough you for business reasons and you are currently off sick, they are eligible to do so as with other employees. In these cases, you should no longer receive sick pay and would be considered a furloughed employee.

If you are on sick leave or self-isolating as a result of coronavirus, you may be able to get Statutory Sick Pay (SSP). The Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme is not intended for short-term absences from work due to sickness.

Your employer can furlough you if you are clinically extremely vulnerable, at the highest risk of severe illness from coronavirus and following public health guidance. You will remain eligible for the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme even whilst shielding guidance is not in place. It is up to your employer to decide if they will furlough you.

• sceneparade
    So is my employer using furlough wrongly?
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    So is my employer using furlough wrongly?
    Potentially yes, but then on the other hand if they can demonstrate "business needs" then I suppose they could also potentially get away with it. 

Remember though, regardless, furlough is not a right, an employer can take you off whenever they want. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry I thought you had posted before about harassment and said you were singed off sick sorrybmy mistake 

Brightness