Hi, my name is TrishE10! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is TrishE10!

TrishE10
TrishE10 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I have joined the group because I suffer from Osteoarthritis and Fibromyalgia. Although I look ok I am often in pain and feel fatigued even after a short period of exercise. I think people often think, even if I explain to them , that I am just exaggerating the problems I face because “I look normal!”. I am sure that there are a lot of others with invisible disabilities  out there that feel the same way as I do. 

Comments

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @TrishE10 and welcome to the community, best wishes ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community Feel free to join in or ask any questions 

We have lots of members here with fibro and other hidden disabilities 

I look forward to seeing you around 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @TrishE10 - & welcome to this friendly & supportive community. :)  Many of us have 'invisible disabilities,' & sometimes suffering pain, &/fatigue is part of these.....not much fun. You will therefore find many of our members have a lot of understanding. I have OA, & we have a lot of members with fibromyalgia too.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @TrishE10 and a warm welcome to our community.  How are you today?

Absolutely, living with an invisible impairment can be tough on it's own without the added pressures of negative attitudes and a lack of understanding.  As a person who has an unseen chronic illness I can really empathise with what you're saying.  In fact, people are often surprised when I tell them and say 'oh but you look so healthy, I'm shocked!'.  When I come across these reactions it's a good opportunity to explain that disabled people don't fit into one box and we all look different - a bit of blusher can hide a lot!

Did you see the ITV advert about invisible illnesses made in conjunction with Scope?  if so, what did you think to it?  Here it is incase anyone missed it:
    https://youtu.be/dVitgyLbYyg

To speak more with our members who have experienced similar, feel free to have a look and post in our Invisible Impairments category.  

I hope you are having a lovely weekend and hopefully speak again soon.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Brightness