Hi, I'm spikey! I'm confused about the amount I will receive following my PIP review. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, I'm spikey! I'm confused about the amount I will receive following my PIP review.

spikey
spikey Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited August 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Im confused with the pip payments made in arears the letter dosnt explain it well either  as far as im aware its only come into force in 2021 plus i was enhanced pip now been place on to the lower living alowence i honestly not sure how they have worked ir out either as the amount for four weeks dosnet add up with there payment rate 

Comments

• snailpace
    snailpace Community member Posts: 66 Courageous
    @spikey, Hi,I am not 100% sure, but I thought that when your pip changes your first payment after the change, is a mix of your old amount and the new amount.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community 

You may need to give more detail so we can help as it doesn't make much sense 

We're you already on pip and what rate for daily living and mobility? 

Have you had a review or reported a changes in circumstances to prompt a new award 

When was this done and what was the new award for each element? 
  • spikey
    I am all ready on it and i was on the enhanced rate now ive been awarded the standard but ita says on my award letter 60.00 pounds but i dont under stand what they mean by its paid in arrears  none of my previous award letters have said it until now all of my old ones have just said it will be paid in to your acount ussauly ever for weeks now on my new award letter it says every four weeks in arrears 
  • spikey
    New award is the lower standard amount for living componet but no mobillity 
  • spikey
    Had a review wich is why im on what they call the lower standered amount but what i dont under stand is this arrears business when i googled it most of the dissabilty advice websites are saying its only just come on with a sudden law change reagarding pip in 2021
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi again 

There is no such thing as lower standard award it is either standard or enhanced 

If you were on enhanced before and now on standard that means your award is lower than before which is where you are getting confused 

So you will now get a lower rate so your payments will be less each month than they were before 

Pip is always paid in arrears so in August you get paid for July for example 

The change in your money will be effective from the date the new decision was made so the £60 is probably what your next payment will be taking into account the reduced award 

Hope this makes sense 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @spikey - & welcome to the community. The DWP do often seem to send letters that take a bit of working out. As mentioned above, your review has lowered the amount you were getting for the daily living component from the enhanced to standard rate, which is £60 per week.
    I've been receiving PIP for a few years, & as you know, it's paid every 4 weeks, but it's always paid in arrears, so, as mentioned, for the previous 4 weeks.
    I believe what you may have seen when you googled, is that some people may be due a back payment (sometimes reported as arrears) of PIP due to a change in the law, but this was just with regards to certain activities/descriptors ('Engaging with people face to face' & 'Planning & following a journey'). So I think that this is what has caused some confusion; this is totally separate from claimants normally getting their PIP paid 4 weeks in arrears. I hope that clears that up for you. :)
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @spikey and a warm welcome to Scope's online community from me.  How are you doing today?

Do you have a better understanding now of why it says you will be paid in arrears and the amount you will begin to receive?  I think our members have done a fab job of explaining but if anything is still confusing, please just let us know.

Just to advise, I've amended the title of your thread to show your question and help others spot it.  Plus moved your thread to our PIP, DLA and AA category.

Take care and have a great rest of the weekend.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.