Autistic without rituals/compulsions? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Autistic without rituals/compulsions?

dant9
dant9 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hello
I have struggled with MH issues for many years and particularly suffer with general and social anxiety. I have many of the difficulties that people on the autistic spectrum experience with social interaction, have felt that I never 'fitted in', and I like a routine and structure to reduce my anxiety etc. I get obsessive thoughts but what I don't have is any ritualistic or compulsive behaviour. I hope to discuss this with my GP shortly but I wondered if it is possible to be diagnosed as being on the spectrum without showing these symptoms.

Comments

• Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    edited August 2021
    Well your GP is the right person to ask.
    But....many autistic people have many different symptoms.

It doesn't work on a 'if you don't do this you don't have it' kind of thing
    Good luck...and Welcome!
  • rubin16
    rubin16 Community member Posts: 344 Pioneering
    Hi welcome to the community,

I have autism myself and autism itself is a spectrum condition meaning everyone with autism is different and has different difficulties, so one person can have alot of the traits or another can have only a few traits. Every single person in the world will have some autistic traits but to be diagnosed you have to have certain difficulties or traits. (I don't know the exact criteria)

Theres a PDF on what the term spectrum means if you want some more information: Understanding the Spectrum - PDF

I think its best to speak to your GP and perhaps get a referral for a diagnosis if you feel you fit the symptoms of Autism, just be aware that there is a long wait for assessments at the moment.

Hope this helps.

• dant9
    Thanks for the comments. A lot of the info I had read seemed to focus on the OCD type of symptoms/traits. I will definitely discuss things with my doctor.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @dant9 :) There are often quite a few crossovers of symptoms between conditions, so it can be hard to know which one is right for you. I agree that your doctor would be a good person to talk to, as they'll be best placed to help you identify what you're experiencing and how to move forwards. 

Are you getting any support for your mental health at the moment? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • dant9
    Yes, I'm well supported, thanks.

Brightness