I started handing in fit notes in 2019. Only got awarded yesterday. Should my payment be backdated? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I started handing in fit notes in 2019. Only got awarded yesterday. Should my payment be backdated?

SaintB
SaintB Community member Posts: 17 Connected
edited August 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hello there,

Yesterday I received my assessment results for UC and got myself put into LCWRA which of course I'm massively relieved by especially as the extra money will be a huge aid. 

Anyways. I first applied for UC back in 12th August 2019 and my first fit note on the 20th August 2019, my payment dates the 18th of each month. My question is here is should I still be backdated? I have no gaps in my fit notes and if I've done the math right this means it should be backdated to around Nov/December 2019 but I'm aware I may be counting wrong here. 

From looking at the forums it seems like the 7 working days the letter mentions for finding out if I'll be backdated is likely going to take longer and if I'm owed money that'll take longer still. I am somewhat worried due to being an anxious person in general so I'm posting to be sure I've got everything about right and if not have it corrected. Thank you in advance for reading.

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    LCWRA would be payable for the Nov - Dec period paid on 18th December.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    Have I read this right?
    you first provided fit notes in August 2019 and have only now received a decision?
  • SaintB
    Indeed, I didn't get assessed until late July of this year, I think when I sent in my UC50 was right around the first lockdown at the start of covid (Marchish of 2020) as I also didn't get asked to fill one in till Feb of 2020. 
  • Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    I’m taken aback by how long this has taken for you.
    I know there are delays but didn’t think they could be that long.
    well you can relax a bit now…finally!
    does anyone know if it’s usual to wait that long before even being given the UC50 to complete? 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2021
    Cress said: does anyone know if it’s usual to wait that long before even being given the UC50 to complete? 
    Assuming claimant is not excluded from a WCA referral due to earnings over the threshold then the WCA should be issued on day 29. However it doesn't always happen and if missed may not happen at all. Most claimants do not know to expect a UC50 form so will not chase it.

So, it's not usual but it does happen.

See this
    https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/news/2021/august/dwp-failing-send-uc-claimants-limited-capability-work-questionnaires-–-new-research
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @SaintB :) I hope that the above replies have been helpful? Just to let you know, I've renamed your post slightly so that other members can find your question more easily. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • SaintB
    Thank you for the rename :)

And thank you everyone from the answers. It was a long wait -i admit wondering when I'd be assessed was over my head for a very long time- but I'm glad that part is over. I assumed everyone else had the same sort of wait due to covid stopping f2f and didn't think to ask or question it any further. 

• maddanj
    maddanj Community member Posts: 27 Connected
    I waited 3 years for my assessment.
    Despite the HAAS recieving my ESA50 - sent same day signed for - the ESA dept did not do the referral for Assessment and kept telling me that there was a delay with covid until a Disability Officer at the JC picked up on it this spring and said I had to fill out another form - UC50.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.