Need help mental health — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Need help mental health

Snow92
Snow92 Community member Posts: 51 Courageous
so my mental health is getting worse i tried to contact gp they said i cant be seen until 23rd september .. and i should call 111 i did 111 online and result was call 999 for emergency ambulance ..i dont feel i need an ambulance though seems a bit ott... i dont know how to get help i am due to have my first therapy session with iapt in september ..(i have ptsd from past trauma anxiety and depression) where else can i go?  suggestions would be highly appreciated hope you are all having a good evening 

Comments

• Jackson87
    Jackson87 Community member Posts: 22 Connected
    Hi Snow,

I am sorry that you suffer with PTSD, Anxiety and Depression.. I suffer with the same things due to past traumas.. I just wanted to say that I hope you get the support you deserve. 

Reaching out is a great step. I think you should try and call your GP again and insist that they see you sooner, if that fails is it possible to go to your local walk in centre and speak to them as they may be able to help hurry things along? 

In the meantime have you tried any grounding techniques when you start to feel triggered? 

Jackson
  • Snow92
    hi Jackson thanks for your reply ..
    I've tried grounding but seem to be having a lot more panic attacks triggered by flashbacks its getting harder and harder to calm myself down I'm starting to feel really hopeless :neutral: I'm not even sure where my local walk in centre is so il google it actually forgot those places existed 
  • Jackson87
    edited August 2021
    I feel that sometimes too, just remember that it’s okay not to feel okay and that it’s perfectly normal to have those reactions when dealing with past trauma especially flashbacks.. 

You aren’t hopeless, make sure to remember that each step no matter how small it may seem is still a step to helping yourself.

Have you made a safe place (in your mind) where you can try to escape to when these flashbacks start up? 
  • Snow92
    I've tried so many things sometimes i want to hit myself over the head to make it stop i was watching tv earlier and i randomly saw his face when i blinked and it wouldn't go away :( I've found a helpline for my area.. I've never used one before do you know if they are any good?
  • Jackson87
    I haven’t ever used helplines so unfortunately I can’t really help you with that.. 

I find it easier to express myself over emails and face to face rather than over a phone.

I am glad you’ve found one local to you and I do hope that they can offer you support and a good ear because having someone just there to listen can really help.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Snow92

Thank you for being so open about how you feel. Can I ask, how are you feeling today? Were you able to access the helpline number? 

We have a thread on the community which contains a series of resources that you can access to support your mental health, I'm sure you will find it useful so please go ahead and give it a read.

Is there anything else that you need? Do you have any friends or family who can support you?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Snow92
    I’m not feeling so great today quite drained I didn’t call the helpline was too anxious thanks for the thread il take a look .. I have family but unfortunately I don’t find them helpful I need to probably get myself back under a mental health team 
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    Hi there I have anxiety , ptsd , ocd and I suffer with pychosis. I’m under a mental health team but it started with me going to hospital and the nurses in a and e referred me to home based treatment which is like a alternative to hospital . I was then after 3 months refered to the community mental health team this was nearly two years ago .  This year I have been in hospital twice and sectioned . It is scary but the most important thing is that you reach out of help . I was only sectioned due to my pychosis. Mental health is a long recovery but you will get there . Please don’t feel like you can’t call a ambulance I have called one a few times for mental health reasons . Well done for reaching out for help . 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Those are such true words @cupcake88 - thank you for using your story to help others.

@Snow92 How are you doing today?  It's great that you have the appointment with IAPT upcoming but I understand that feeling of needing more in the interim.  When you tried to make a GP appointment, were they aware of how much your mental health was impacting your daily life? If not, it might be worth calling them again to stress how important it is you're seen, as it could have been inaccurately assumed you needed a 'routine slot'.

Other than this, you can try:
    • using the Find a local NHS urgent mental health helpline
    • using talking services such as The Samaritans on 116 123 or emailing jo@samaritans.org / texting 'SHOUT' to 85258 to speak with a trained crisis volunteer from Shout.  
    • calling 999 or going to A&E if you feel that you can't keep yourself safe - which is the utmost priority.
    I hope today is a better one for you, and remember we're always here for virtual support.  Take care and be kind to yourself  <3
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Snow92
    Hi Cher 
    thanks for your response im a little bit worried because I have 2 kids if I go hospital with mental illness they might think I’m not capable of looking after them 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Snow92

Ahh, I understand.  There can be a lot of fear surrounding accessing support during a mental health crises, particularly where people have children or loved ones they are responsible for.  But having a mental health condition doesn't mean you aren't a capable parent, in so much as having a broken leg wouldn't mean you aren't a good parent either.  No parent I know is perfect (!) so be kind to yourself and focus on the fact that in seeking support you are being proactive in wanting to feel better, not only for you but for your family's benefit too.  This MIND resource around Parenting and mental health is a brilliant read so I'd highly recommend taking a look the next time you have a cup of tea (or similar!).

Do you have a support system (friends or loved ones) who could help with your children?  Not anticipating that you would need to stay in hospital, but for if ever you need to attend appointments or simply have a little time out?  If so, I'm sure they'd love to be there for you during this difficult patch.  And, don't forget our community members are here 24/7 too if ever you need a virtual natter or to vent.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

• Snow92
    Ah thanks Cher will take a look my family isn’t too understanding on these types of things but il find support somewhere I’m sure 
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    @Snow92 hi snow I don’t have children my self but there are plenty of people with children who have mental illnesses . If you broke your arm would that mean your not capable course not there’s so much stigma around mental illness . 

I’m not saying your going to end up in hospital I was just sharing my story and I eventually got the help was going to a and e and that’s where I was referred to the home based treatment team then I was referred to the community mental health team . It’s just unfortunately this year I took really poorly and ended up on a section . But when I was in hospital there was plenty of women who had children . 

Having a mental illness for me has been a very long and slow recovery I always urge people to reach out so don’t be afraid to call a ambulance or go to a and e for mental illness I have done many times before . 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Snow92

Thanks for reaching out to us. I always appreciate how much courage it can take to reach out when you are struggling. It looks like you have already received amazing support on this thread which I am thankful for. You deserve all the support we can provide. I just wanted to add that I am sorry to hear you are struggling. If there is anything specific we can do to support you through this difficult time, please just let us know. Keep holding on. One of my favourite quotes is "the sunshine is always there, it is just hidden behind the cloud sometimes" <3
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness