I was told that you don't necessarily need to have someone helping you to get PIP. I'm confused — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I was told that you don't necessarily need to have someone helping you to get PIP. I'm confused

wendy1
wendy1 Community member Posts: 39 Courageous
edited September 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi folks, i was recently told  that if you receive PIP you don't necessarily need to have someone to help you, you receive the benefit because you need the help. I'm so confused about this.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

I get pip enhanced for both elements and I don't have any carers 

My son helps with stuff I cant do 

But pip is about how your condition affects your functionality to do the task and doesn't always mean you need a carer
  • wendy1
    Hi, thanks for your reply. I also receive PIP, but when my claim started my mother was there to help me but sadly she passed away this year and i'm worrying my benefit will get stopped
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    PIP is a benefit that is awarded to for helping them with their daily living activities and mobility issues. It’s not awarded on a disability or diagnosis or the amount of prescription medications you are taking. PIP is awarded on your inabilities to cope and  manage the PIP descriptors safely and repeatedly and in a timely manner. Take a PIP self test on the benefits and work site and see how you fair but be warned be totally honest with your answers as if you submit an application the answers given will have to be justified at your assessment.
  • wendy1
    Hi mikehughescq, thanks for your reply. You've helped me understand it better.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Based on the help you need, not the help you get.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    With PIP, it can be about the help you need, even if you don't receive any help. As above, for example I said I needed help when showering, as I'd fallen before. I live on my own, but I still need the help I don't receive. These details should be given, if you have difficulty attempting/doing an activity 'reliably,' i.e. safely, repeatedly, to an acceptable standard, or if it takes you more than twice as long as someone without your disability.
    Your benefit will not stop; like many of us it will remain until reviewed, & may then still continue.
  • Dempseym
    Dempseym Community member Posts: 32 Courageous
    edited September 2021
    I too do not have support at the moment.  I have auxiliary aids to help me which I bought myself as I like to keep my independence.  You will not lose your PIP because you have lost your primary support.  As others have advised, you should let them know of the changes and inform them that you have lost your much-needed support.   Hopefully, this may assist in you engaging some external support as it must be so hard for you to cope without your mother to help you.  I am so sad to hear of your loss it must be so difficult for you to cope on your own. '(
  • calcotti
    edited September 2021
    Dempseym said:..As others have advised, you should let them know of the changes and inform them that you have lost your much-needed support.  
    Not clear who you mean when you say ‘inform them’. OP would be very unwise to tell PIP about the change unless the degree to which her health conditions impact her ability to do the specified activities to the required standard has got worse and the extent of any change is likely to result in a change to the PIP award.

OP, you may wish to approach your local authority and request a ‘needs assessment’.
    https://www.gov.uk/apply-needs-assessment-social-services

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Dempseym
    Dempseym Community member Posts: 32 Courageous
    Hi, just to clarify, what I meant was to inform them that her position is more difficult now without her mother's support.  I hope this helps.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,319 Disability Gamechanger
    Dempseym said:
    Hi, just to clarify, what I meant was to inform them that her position is more difficult now without her mother's support.  I hope this helps.

You really shouldn't report any changes until you've got expert advice. A worsening of condition doesn't automatically mean you'll score more points for a higher award. No one here knows what award they currently have, what points they scored or where they scored those points.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    Dempseym said:
    Her situation may be more difficult because she isn’t getting help but that is completely irrelevant to PIP. PIP is about the difficulties a claimant has and the help they need regardless of whether or not they actually receive help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.