I started working, and my ESA stopped, I've been told I need to claim UC. Any advice for assessment? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I started working, and my ESA stopped, I've been told I need to claim UC. Any advice for assessment?

Mattie72
Mattie72 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited August 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
I started a job about 3 months ago. I let the DWP know and filled in a form for permitted earnings. However, I really don't like reading anything official so when looking at the web page for permitted earnings, I saw 16 hours per week and wrote that I was working 16 hours on the form. I received a letter telling me that my benefits had been stopped and also my Housing benefit and council tax reduction. I immediately contacted the DWP and charged my hours to 15.5. They took 6 weeks to inform me that I needed to claim Universal Credit because they had stopped the ESA. I spoke to an advisor with the CAB  and he worked out that I will get £73 per week and I will have to attend an assessment for my disabilities . This can take 3 or 4 months. I have had no money since June 29th. I get PIP and I am paying my rent with that. I have mental health issues and I am completely overwhelmed and exhausted. I was only employed for 9 weeks because I lost my job. I wasn't working quickly enough.  I have been told via my UC journal that I won't receive any money until 2nd October and no Housing benefit either. 

Would you have any advice about the assessment and what to expect?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Permitted work rules for ESA specifically state that you can work less than 16 hours per week. You must not earn anymore than £143 per week. See link. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/employment-and-support-allowance-permitted-work-form/permitted-work-factsheet

As you were working 16 hours then yes it was correct that your ESA then ended. The reason your housing benefit stopped was because DWP would have contacted your local council to tell them your ESA ended.

As you claimed UC after your ESA ended then your ESA award will not transfer across to UC. If you haven't already do so then you will need to report a health condition onto your journal and send a fit note from your GP. You will need to continue to send fit notes until a decision's been made on your work capability assessment. The process for this is exactly the same as it was for ESA. After 29 days you should be referred for a work capability assesment. You will then receive a work capability assessment form in the post. Once you've been assessed if you're placed into the LCWRA group then you will receive an extra £343 per month in your UC but this isn't paid until the 4 month from the date you reported the health condition.

You can claim an advance payment from UC but do be aware than this needs to be repaid back from future UC payments.

Your UC will include an element for your housing, as well as the standard allowance.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Mattie72 said:....l that I won't receive any money until 2nd October and no Housing benefit either. 
    Your Uc payments when they come should include help with rent (replacing you old Housing benefit).

You can request a UC advance but tis will have to be repaid by deduction from future payments.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Mattie72 :) Welcome to the community.

I hope that the above comments have been useful in helping you understand what should happen next, and what you need to do. You can read about work capability assessments on the Turn2Us website to remind yourself on what to expect.

Will you be able to keep up with important payments, such as your rent and bills, until you receive your UC payment? Are you able to get enough essential items, such as food? 

I'm sorry to hear that you lost your job, and that you're struggling with your mental health. Are you receiving any support for your mental health at the moment? 

National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.