Exercise and disability — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Exercise and disability

Geegeenumber1
Geegeenumber1 Community member Posts: 1,066 Pioneering
Anybody swim? 

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,681 Disability Gamechanger
    Thats 1 exercise i can do but not been for years.
  • Geegeenumber1
    Really sandy. I've started on holiday and I'm rubbish but gonna start lessons when I get my mobility car very excited and will allow me a few extra calories! Did you used to be a goof swimmer my technique is awful and cam only do a couple of lengths at a time but feels good to be starting something that I can actually do with my knee pain my knees don't hurt in the water
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,681 Disability Gamechanger
    No I'm not a great swimmer i mainly do breast stroke. I used to go gyms and consultant pulled me out saying u can only do tredmil, so no point, that was 10 years ago.
    Swimming doesn't seem to effect my spine but I can't do 100s of laps either. You might benefit from it
  • Geegeenumber1
    I see. I've never been a strong swimmer but apart from upper body weights swimming is all I can do. I used to be a gym fanatic so sudden disability has been very upsetting. I'm useless at breast stroke haha I do my own version of front and back crawl but excel at the doggy paddle lol bit apparently even that burns lots of Cal's 
  • littleacorn
    littleacorn Community member Posts: 367 Pioneering
    I love to swim but find the water really cold. I once asked them to test the temperature but after taking it they said it was correct and did not need adjusting. I find that this is the only exercise I can do but the temperature puts me off
  • Geegeenumber1
    Yes it wlmt be like swimming in Greece after my hols will be hard braving the cold 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,317 Disability Gamechanger
    I used to love swimming but i can't go anymore because the water is far too cold for my legs. Within just a couple of minutes in the water i have extreme pain in both my legs. I also tried hydrotherapy and the water is warmer but even this was too cold for me. My legs prefer heat and the hotter the better.

Good luck with your smimming and i hope you enjoy it :)
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Geegeenumber1
    Sorry to hear that. Thanks I hope I can cope with the cold didn't even think of that
  • Geegeenumber1
    starting physio in the water sessions next week - will start with one and see how it goes, anyone tried water exercise for knee arthrirtis or swimming? I tried swimming and enjoyed it on holiday but that was in greece!
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering

Hello @Geegeenumber1,

I'm really glad to hear that you're having some water based physio appointments - how exciting. Are you looking forward to them? I actually used to swim at a national level before I was diagnosed with chronic illness, but I do still love to swim when I can. I find that it's one of the only sports/exercises I can do that doesn't flare up major symptoms. I also find it really therapeutic 🙂

Let us know how you get on and I hope it goes well for you.

Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • Geegeenumber1

@Libby_Scope dear lobby wow that's so cool was your conditions caused by swimming

I used to live with Olympic swim team at uni! But never been a strong swimmer!

I can't make the classes for a couple of weeks but looking forward to them then gradually hope to begin swimming classes bit Wary of the cold water haha

I hope you can continue to swim when possible

I hope swimming will help Mr tone as I lose weight too as I've had a sleeve and want to avoid loose skin I know swimming develops such a beautiful shape

Il keep you updated how it goes

• Geegeenumber1
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    edited March 2022

Hello @Geegeenumber1,

I don't think swimming caused my conditions directly, but I did put my body under a lot of stress when training/competing at that level, so it might have had some impact but I can't really say. I do enjoy swimming now for leisurely reasons, and it's helpful for one of my conditions, as my body is orthostatic intolerant - so swimming can help with this given that you're in a horizontal position.

That's really cool that you lived with some Olympic swimmers. Good luck for your lessons and it's great that you're doing something new and exciting.

Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • Geegeenumber1

thats interesting because my knee condition was exacerbated by serious weight training with a personal training - i never competed but I was doing really heavy stuff and some mild arthritis and 'runners knee' suddenly became severe pain and immobility

I miss exercise so much and since I stopped I put on so much weight so I hope to start again

It's great you can still swim

I hope to see you around the forum in the future and will let you know how the exercise in the water goes

• Geegeenumber1
    Now I've got my mobility car I've begun to get our and about more can anyone recommend what kind of footwear is good for bad knee arthritis. I'm being measured for surgical appliances orthotics I think they're called anyone had them on wed and will ask them and try and ask surgeon when ever speak to him but generally is it trainers or?

Got loads shoes but not sure which are best

I have most pain in left side 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm not sure of the answer to that @Geegeenumber1, but sorry to hear that you have pain. Hopefully your medical team will be able to advise.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Geegeenumber1
    Thank you @ross it's nice to be getting like 1k steps in I used to do so much exercise but the last 2 years been practically immobile so any activity is a huge improvement I've got a mobility scooter too now but not used it yet bit nervous to use it 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Geegeenumber1just wondering if you managed to chat to the team about the best shoes to use while driving? 

And is there anything in particular making you nervous to use your mobility scooter? :) 
    Scope

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Geegeenumber1
    It's not for driving its for walking I'm gonna ask orthopedic when see them 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Ahh I see @Geegeenumber1 I think I misread this sentence: 
    Now I've got my mobility car I've begun to get our and about more can anyone recommend what kind of footwear is good for bad knee arthritis. 
    Thanks for explaining, and hopefully they can advise you soon. They might recommend things like insoles, I used them a lot growing up to help with balance- whatever helps keep the legs feeling most stable and supported.
    Scope

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness