Contacted my local MP PIP claim — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Contacted my local MP PIP claim

em444
em444 Community member Posts: 103 Connected
Hi All, Im really struggling with waiting for my MR decision.
My anxiety Is through the roof, so Ive decided to contact my local MP and see If she can Intervene.
If Its another NO, then at least I can start with preparing for  the Tribunal.
Anxiety and DWP waiting times, are not an Ideal combination !!
I appreciate Im not the only one waiting, but this Is having a detrimental effect, on my mental health.
So, hopefully, she can at least give them a nudge.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

I did this and it had no impact whatsoever 

Fingers crossed you get better results tho by time mp gets round to it and sends letter which will be delayed by dwp postal backlogs you will probably have had the decision 
  • em444
    Thanks Jane
    I've contacted her before, and she was quite helpful, so hoping she will be again.
    I've heard of claimants involving their MP, and getting successful outcomes.
    Like you say, fingers crossed, I might be a lucky one.
    Thanks again ? 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Username_removed said:..yet the only impact they can possibly have is to get things rushed.
    And if somebody is rushed a different claimant is put aside and has to wait for longer.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • em444
    With respect, you are not experiencing my anxiety. And I was advised that this may help. I  shall immediately cancel my PIP MR, on Tuesday. I dont want to upset, and take priority, over anyone else's claim. By what you've said, I dont deserve to be helped.  So, I'll tell my MP that I was advised not to ask them for help.
    Because Its a waste of their time, and peoples money.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    To be fair, no one has said you don't deserve to be helped. What's been said is that by contacting your MP means your MR could be rushed and the wrong decision could be made, which may not be in your favour.

I totally understand how stressful the whole process is but surely you want the decision to be the correct one. The timescales for MR's at the moment are anything up to 3 months. Hopefully, it won't be too much longer.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • em444
    Mike stated quite clearly, thats not what MP's are elected for.
    So rather than upset anyone, else on the forum. I'll email my MP and ask her not to Intervene.

• Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    I think he said that was his opinion....
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @em444,

I'm sorry that you feel as though you don't deserve to be helped. I don't think that mikehughescq intended to make you feel as though you don't deserve to be helped, but rather than your MP may not be the best person to approach for this help. Ultimately, it's of course your choice who you'd like to speak to about this. 
    I  shall immediately cancel my PIP MR, on Tuesday
    Do you mean that you'll cancel talking to your MP about this, or the MR itself?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • poppy123456
    em444 said:
    Mike stated quite clearly, thats not what MP's are elected for.
    So rather than upset anyone, else on the forum. I'll email my MP and ask her not to Intervene.

He said it was his opinion. No one said you don't deserve the help. You've come this far with your PIP journey, why cancel now. If you think you're entitled then you should continue.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • calcotti
    edited August 2021
    No intention to add to add to your anxiety. However MRs do take time (and certainly longer than they ideally would) especially at the moment. If DWP are being chased by MPs that inevitably uses up more of their time (which is not to say that MPs should never be involved).

I understand that the whole benefits claims process is anxiety provoking and currently often fails to deliver support until quite some time after it is needed. In your other similar thread https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/83490/5-weeks-and-not-been-looked-at-pip-mr#latest
    you said you have been waiting 5 weeks. Even pre pandemic MRs would typically take 8 weeks but could be longer. While frustrating your wait is therefore not unusual. 

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • missybpink
    missybpink Community member Posts: 28 Connected
    Do you know what Em no one is in your position and you do whatever you need to do, I contacted my MP to help with mine for the same reason I was hitting my head against the wall and suffering I got no where I contacted my MP and told them I was going to and I had a phone call within a day and my case was prioritised and sorted within a week. 
  • rozzi
    rozzi Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Mike said nothing like what you've said. It's just a waiting game I'm afraid. They won't proritise just because an MP gets involved. They really are months behind. Just try to be patient 
  • cazza6565
    cazza6565 Community member Posts: 93 Courageous
    I cannot agree more about it being a waste of time. I had a meeting with my MP on 23RD July for a problem I was having. She got one of her admin assistants to email me around a week later, then another week went by still no progress apart from her emailing me to say still no update . 3RD week another  email same story.This eventually frustrated me but thankfully i got the issue sorted without her help. In my opinion it's no help and all they do is pass the task to one of their staff. But again this is only my opinion
  • calcotti
    cazza6565 said:
    I cannot agree more about it being a waste of time. ...
    Sounds as if all that resulted is that you were chasing your MP as well as DWP!
  • rozzi
    rozzi Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    They never lose track of expenses form though. Ha ha
  • cazza6565
    cazza6565 Community member Posts: 93 Courageous
    calcotti said:
    cazza6565 said:
    I cannot agree more about it being a waste of time. ...
    Sounds as if all that resulted is that you were chasing your MP as well as DWP!
    No mine wasn't for DWP it was BT, no idea why I thought MP would help actually cause I managed to fix it eventually after 6 weeks. 
  • Debb1119
    Debb1119 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    I know this is an older post but actually I have contacted my MP and she has been in contact with other organisations to help and support which were in contact immediately .she actually did say she can find out why our PIP evidence may not have been considered or how they took it into account.so speaking with your MP can be useful.maybe we should stop with “in my opinion” comments.
  • poppy123456
    Debb1119 said:
    she actually did say she can find out why our PIP evidence may not have been considered or how they took it into account

They look at all evidence you send. Whether it's useful however, will depend on exactly what evidence it was. Medical evidence that states the basics like medication, diagnosis etc etc, isn't the best evidence to send. Unless it states exactly how your conditions affect you, it's not always useful.
    A local MP will have very little benefits knowledge.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    All I would say that sometimes but not always getting your MP involved can help, some MP's are better than others at helping but even the worst can galvanise a govt. dept. into action.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Debb1119 said:
    maybe we should stop with “in my opinion” comments.
    Hi,

I`m new here (2 days) and am reading as many threads as possible........

I actually thought, on the whole, that comments in this thread were interesting.

However, I`m afraid "maybe we should stop with "in my opinion" comments" is actually saying to someone that he / she is not allowed an opinion and, as such, he / she should not "voice" it.

I see no harm in using "in my opinion" in a comment because that`s all it is, the opinion of the person making his or her views public.  Some "in my opinion`s" can be very insightful and others can be very subjective. 

If we all thought the same, conversations wouldn`t be half as interesting as they can / could be.

Andy

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.