Speech problems — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Speech problems

Options
chloeblue04
chloeblue04 Community member Posts: 234 Pioneering
edited October 2021 in Sensory impairments
Good morning

I used to have speech therapy when I was a kid up to a teenager and here's my problem; nobody understands what I have been saying. 

For years I have been battling with my speech, trying to emphasis my elocution, annunciate my articulation but each time I got annoyed, a little angry or easily offended believing that nobody understands me. 

Because I needed help, I took part in language courses for French and Spanish and at the moment I'm learning Italian and Latin on Duolingo. I'm keen on learning how to speak Maurtian Creole. I had to do those things to help me improve on my dialect. 

At the moment I fear that I'm losing my will to speak to the people, nor had the chance to speak for myself or to speak from my mind. 

It made want to start crying bottles and cups (this is a metaphor I came up with in my sentence). 

Help me!   

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @chloeknight16071992 :) Have you spoken to your GP about this? They should be your first port of call, as they should be able to talk you through your options. Could getting some more speech and language therapy help? 

It's great that you've been learning other languages to try and improve your speech as well. Would you consider going to an in-person class to help you practise your speaking with other people? 

Do you attend any social groups or clubs? This could be another way of helping you to practise speaking to others, and seeing how well they're able to understand you? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • chloeblue04
    chloeblue04 Community member Posts: 234 Pioneering
    Options
    For the in-person class no I haven't thought about it. 

I used to attend social clubs.

No I didn't speak to my GP.

Brightness