Who should I contact from my council about how the condition of pavements affects my mobility? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Who should I contact from my council about how the condition of pavements affects my mobility?

Options
Ilandra
Ilandra Community member Posts: 26 Listener
I am a new mobility scooter user, and, until now,  had never really noticed the condition of the public footpaths and pavements. Things  have suddenly changed drastically, and I am absolutely astounded at the dreadful condition of the footpaths in my area, and also. the lack of dropped kerbs in many places. I would love to bring this to the attention of my local council, and the most relevant person, but am not sure which or if any departments, or a specific person, would deal with this.  Does anyone have any ideas on what is the best route to take?

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,618 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You could contact one of your local councillors (you should have three), or the highways dept.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

It opens your eyes doesn't it when you become a chair or scooter user 

I think it comes under the highways dept of your local council 

I know that's who my sensory team report any issued to 
  • Ilandra
    Options
    I'll try the highways department next.  I sent a very explicit email to a local councillor 4 weeks ago, regarding the condition of the  pavements/paths, but, to date, I have not received a reply,  he is obviously far too busy with more important matters. 
    Thank you for your advice.
  • Ilandra
    Options
    Honestly Janer1967, These pavements are mostly tarmac, but the top layer has gone, the footpaths are full of potholes, and loose stones, they are horrendous to say the least. In this area, if there are cables to be laid, or any other work which would normally have meant the roads being dug up, this has stopped, and the companies have been advised that where possible, the pavements should be used.  This has added to the problem.  I am definately on the case now. 
  • janer1967
    Options
    To he fair in my area it isn't that bad till you got to smaller side roads with narrow paths , pot holes , lack of drop kerbs and more annoying cars parked halfway over pavement 
  • Ilandra
    Options
    OMG  Janer, cars parked across the pavement, now that is an absolute no no.  I honestly think that the car users who do this don't realise what a problem they cause, and is just a lack of thought on their part.  I'm sure that if it was mentioned, they would be really apologetic and would move immediately. Am I living in a dream world?   I would like to think that this would be the case.
  • janer1967
    Options
    You are living in dream world in afraid 

I came across a driver getting in his car blocking pavement I was sat waiting for him to drive off and he said you could have gone on the road to get round 

Another time car was on double yellow blocking drop kerb with 2 young kids in back while mother had gone into takeaway 

I told her when she returned and got load abuse back 

• forgoodnesssake
    forgoodnesssake Community member Posts: 502 Pioneering
    Options
    We had to report an awful bit of pavement a couple of years ago (tree roots had pushed it up and broken it and actually my son's front castor (well the one on his wheelchair!) broke.  Different roads and their pavements are managed by different parts of the council/highways dept but looking online I found which one was responsible and they actually had a very good online reporting system where you can also upload photos.  I did that and within about 6 weeks there was at least an attempt to level off the pavement.
  • Ilandra
    Options
    That's dreadful, surely the council should check every now and again, but at least you got something done.  Our estate was built in 1952, and I would say that the majority of the path ways on the estate are either full of potholes, or the tree roots are trying to force there way to the surface.  I have lived here since 1952, and I can only ever remember some of the pathways being resurfaced  twice. It surprises me that there have not been accidents, as a lot of elderly people use the paths. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,003 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Being both a driver and a mobility scooter user i can kingd of understand why some people park on pavements. Our streets weren't really built to accommodate households having multiple cars so there's usually very limited places for people to park. Where i live we park around the back in a lane and it's an absolute nightmare. Go around the corner and you'll see people parked on pavements and grass. There's also very few drops kerbs too.

I really do wish you luck on this one.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ilandra
    Options
    Thank you Poppy, and I'm sure that if I were a driver, in desperation, I too would park on the pavement, it's just the way things are now.  I'll let you know how I got on.
  • Ilandra
    Options
    Just out of curiosity Poppy.  I have just seen a man riding a large mobility scooter with two children aboard, aged probably 5 and 6, is this allowed.?
  • Ilandra
    Options
    Good morning Poppy.  I thought I would just let you know what I'm dealing with in regard to the footpaths.  I sent a very explicit e mail to the Highways department, and giving the area in which there were problems, several times.  This morning, I received an e mail from them, in which they acknowledged receipt, and a small map showing where the problems are located. 'Sam's Curry House' I would have found it amusing, had I not been so irritated.  I've never heard of Sam's Curry House anywhere in the area, particularly not on St Johns Road, and I've lived here for 63 years.  Honestly, it almost makes you want to give up before you start.

Brightness