How Many people can be aboard a mobility scooter? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How Many people can be aboard a mobility scooter?

Ilandra
Ilandra Community member Posts: 26 Listener
Purely out of curiosity.  I have just seen a man, riding a large mobility scooter, and  on board he had two very young children, possibly aged  5 and 6 years old. I was just wondering if this is something one is allowed to do.  I have a 4 year old great grandson, he would love it, but I am a bit hesitant, as I don't know the rules.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    There's no rules around this as such but you have to think of the safety of the child because they could fall off and they're only really designed to carry 1 person. Each mobility scooter also has a maximum weight limit. I found this which may help.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ilandra
    Thank you Poppy, that is really useful information, which makes sense.  I will of course not be taking my great grandson for a ride now.  He would have loved it though. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes, my grandson would love it too but he's never and will never go on mine either. Some people just don't think before they do something.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ilandra
    Thanks again for your advice Poppy.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    My friend has a mobility scooter and her 4 year old sits on with her it goes up to a certain weight as long as you don't go over the weight limit her son loves it she is a single mum 
  • Ilandra
    I bet he does Lisa, most 4 year olds would.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm fairly sure however @Ilandra that the safety of a your great grandson would be paramount, rather than just looking at the maximum weight a mobility scooter goes up to.
  • Ilandra
    Absolutely Chiarieds.  This afternoon, my 4 year old great grandson, along with his brother and mum, came to visit.  He loved the scooter, and great grandad took him for a ride around the back garden, what fun.  They finally stopped, and my husband got off, my great grandson pulled the control and the scooter shot forward. He was not hurt, but our lovely new scooter now has a badly marked front wheel.  I only tell you this, as I can see how accidents easily happen with a 4 year old.  What if he had been near a road. There'll be no more joy rides, ever.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Oh glory @Ilandra - thankfully all is well. And thank you for illustrating that problems can occur, & it's not worth the risk of having a young child on a mobility scooter.
  • Ilandra
    Absolutely chiarieds, it could give you nightmares. 

Brightness