Fit note submitted but UC marked as failed to attend — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Fit note submitted but UC marked as failed to attend

Options
feeky1973
feeky1973 Community member Posts: 59 Connected
edited September 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hello family member submitted a fit note (as unfit for work ) from GP  but UC marked them as failed to attend a worksearch appointment.  We are really confused and dont know how to proceed.    She informed them the day before that she wouldnt be able to  attend the appointment due to ill health and entered the Note details on her journal.  The reply was 'you had an appointment can you give reasons why you were unable to attend'. Then the next entry came 10 mins later, marked as failed to attend appointment. Does this mean they will cut payments?  or that they understand she couldnt attend?  Not sure how to advise her how to respond other than to point out again that she was unwell, signed off and unable to attend because of this.  Or, is someone still expected to attend work appointmentss at job centers even if they have been signed off ?  if so she didnt know this.  PLease help as really confused.  Thank you :) 

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Suggest she replies by stating that she advised them the day before that she would be unable to attend due to poor health and have provided details of a relevant Fit Note. 
    The message she has received may have been generated without anybody having read the message from the day before.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • feeky1973
    Options
    Will suggest that, thnaks.  Are people still expected to attend work reviews etc if they are advised and documented as unfit for work by a GP? 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Unfortunately yes 

Work coach can switch off the meetings or conduct by phone instead

Until claimant has been referred for a work capability assessment and found unfit for work they have to provide continuous fit notes and remain in contact with a work coach 
  • feeky1973
    Options
    @janer1967 so a fit note from GP lasting until October, still means that she has to attend appointments work review appointments? Sorry :blush: t's really confusing
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes if thats what the claimant commitments states. As advised, a fit note doesn’t exclude from those appointments. Some work coaches will turn off commitments, others will expect some which can include either job centre in person appointments or telephone appointments.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • feeky1973
    Options
    ah I'm starting to understand. How do we find out more about this? The work coach hasn't explained this in any of the journal entries. Or hasn't responded to any of her previous questions.   Anyone experienced this kind of situation or able to suggest how to approach this?
    Also where are the claimant commitments? Sorry to sound daft, just have no idea about this.  Wish the work coach had mentioned/pointed this out before. She's really worried her payments will stop because of the 'failed to attend'. Really hope they understand her lack of understanding about the procedure and her mental health/anxiety issues.  She really thought she was doing the right thing and didnt realise she still had to attend.  
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2021
    Options
    I believe that you should be able to find your claimant commitment on your online account @feeky1973
    You can view your latest Claimant Commitment online. You will also be able to update your progress on your goals using that account.
    Universal Credit and your claimant commitment (gov.uk)
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.