Is online shopping accessible? - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is online shopping accessible?

Options
13»

Comments

• Dragonslayer
    Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
    Options
    I find Amazon one of the best sites to navigate and shop on, just recently I have bought a good deal of things on there with absolutely no problems and there is literally any item you want to buy. My wife joined Prime so everything comes next day, 98% of things eligible anyway. Even things that do come from China arrive in five days.
    She also does all our grocery shopping from Sainsburys it arrives every Monday at the same time and they gave us this guaranteed slot during lockdown and we still have it. Curry's - PC world is also good with next day delivery on electricals and so is Premier man for clothes. We have been in lockdown a year now but had no problems with online shopping and bought everything we need on there.
    I use a desktop computer, I prefer the big screen, my wife uses her laptop. I hardly ever use my phone for online things.
    Best thing about Amazon Prime is not only next day delivery and films and shows on TV, but Amazon music is free, along with kindle for books, a great deal of which are also free and other benefits. And only my wife had to join and pay then added me at no extra cost. 
  • Caley
    Caley Community member Posts: 22 Connected
    Options
    We live in a rural area, are high risk from covid and have impaired mobility so online shopping is a godsend for us.  Managed early in the first lockdown to get priority delivery slots for Tesco groceries which have been brilliant, and we use Amazon or Ebay for most non-grocery stuff.
    We have found the item limit on Tesco deliveries a bit of a pain at times, there being 2 diabetic adults and 2 fussy older teens all wanting/needing different things, but I can totally see why they had to do it to make sure they could fit as many orders into one van as possible so as many customers as possible could get a delivery.  The fussier of the teens has now gone off to university so it's become a lot easier to stick to the item limit shopping for 3.  Being a family, we have no problem meeting the £40 minimum spend, but I can imagine if you're a single person or even a couple on a limited budget, that would be really difficult, and if you're high risk or shielding to avoid covid risk, it must be very worrying.
    I do get a bit annoyed if I look on things like clothing websites and I'm immediately faced with a pop up telling me to register to get offers etc.  I'm not visually impaired, but I can imagine for someone who is, that would be a real challenge, specially where there's fancy flashing graphics to try and grab your attention.  
    Once covid-19 becomes a thing of the past, I will probably stick to mainly online shopping.  We did do a lot of our shopping online before covid but I did enjoy an occasional scout round the shops on my mobility scooter, but it's so much easier to just shop from my living room, cup of tea in hand, at whatever time I like and not have to worry about parking, finding a disabled toilet or queues.
  • Kathy_Bramley
    Kathy_Bramley Community member Posts: 140 Pioneering
    Options
    I find it very variable as with most things with having autistic, ADHD & dyspraxic traits combined, but generally it is a bit awkward, but then most disability based charity websites are not much easier: too much going on on most and all the popping, sliding graphical elements can be distracting and impossible to wrangle. Even from my mobile. 

But sometimes you just pop your number in and you're done. It seems to be easier for me on the smaller sites with more focused product ranges. Maybe that's because it's easier to concentrate through. I've found really good florists and eco Christmas present stuff. But then I didn't but everyone the same and got anxious about prices heh.  It was the first time I'd tried that route this year. I feel like a saunter through the crowds and lights is part of doing Christmas properly but I usually *try* and keep purchasing simple, stress later divvying up. It's been ages since I used online supermarkets. I did something wrong and couldn't get logged back in at Asda. And possibly Tesco as well. Or it just was too much hard work. And anxiety over ethical concerns goes up and down. 
    Autistic mother (they/them) not Autism Mom
  • 22Putney
    22Putney Community member Posts: 27 Connected
    Options
    Hello, I used to use one of the big supermarket, they went to tray liners a nightmare, I was told the delivery man would help to to put the items in bags no, he dumped the stuff in bags by the door half in and out my neighbours came to my aid, I did complain to avale, I now use Morrison's door step delivery, order by phone, a call handler takes the call and arrives the next day in bags, pay by card to the delivery person, (with a machine) delivery £2.50 now it was £1.50 you have to order over 5 items, I have zero connection with anyone at Morrison's just the delivery driver, I herd about the service from the warden here, they are continuing the service....I use eBay etc, like many I cannot use my laptop now I can't lift it, I am on my tablet, very light! I haven't herd the expression purple pound before it makes  sense to cater for everyone, Thank you I have learnt something. 
  • tomcurran545
    tomcurran545 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    Online Shopping has always been ease for purchasing products sitting at home and it is definitely safe if bought from trustworthy site
  • JackiH
    JackiH Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    Most of our shopping is done online, all of it. My carer will pop to the local shop if we run out or get low on something, other than that it's all bought online.

Brightness