Backpayment question? Confused — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Backpayment question? Confused

Options
buddy85
buddy85 Community member Posts: 18 Connected
I'm really confused hope someone can answer this please
I've been receiving pip for a number of years and had a review in February paperwork submitted  in Febuary ,assessment was done in August.
I asked a question a few months back asking if I was given a higher award whether it would be backdated to February,  a couple of people told me that because I hadnt asked for the review that it wouldn't be backdated 
However a couple of days ago i have had a large amount of money gone into the bank and upon phoning the DWP today i am told it's for a backdated payment  ( i dont   understand  as it was the DWP who instigated review)
I am scared incase it's a mistake. 
Also the large backpayment has also taken me slightly over the 6k savings threshold,  do I have to inform ESA straight away? 
And final question,  I know have a daily living award,  how do I go about claiming severe disability payment on ESA?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks as always for everyone's help

Comments

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,623 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You don't have to inform ESA.  You get 12 months grace to use it.  If you're still over the limit at the end of that 12 months, then you'll have to inform them.

You can phone up and ask to start the claim for SDP, though I'd wait for the PIP award letter first personally.  SDP forms were automatically posted to me after gaining PIP, without needing to phone, though I'm not sure if that's common as it doesn't seem to be on here.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,365 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2021
    Options
    The decision maker obviously thought that you condition had got worse and decided to backdated you some money. I have heard this happen before but not often.

With regards to the SDP then it depends on a few things. First which ESA do you claim, is it New style ESA? If so then this is a contributions based only benefit and no disability premiums are payable on this.

If it's the old Income Related ESA then you must live alone, if you live with other adults then they must also be claiming a qualfying disability benefit such as PIP daily living, DLA mid/high rate care or Attendance allowance. No one must be claiming carers allowance or the carers element of Universal Credit for looking after you.

If you're claiming the old Contributions based ESA  whether you're entitled to any Income Related top up will depend on other financial circumstances.

Your backdated PIP money is disregarded from savings for 1 year.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.