Hello! :) I have autism, anxiety, dyslexia and depression. I may also have dyspraxia or ADHD — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hello! :) I have autism, anxiety, dyslexia and depression. I may also have dyspraxia or ADHD

Abigail_Clara
Abigail_Clara Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited September 2021 in Start here and say hello!
Hi my name is Abigail, I found out that I have autism a few years back, I'm told it's more on the asperger side but it's all under one umbrella now so they just say autism. Along with my autism I have extreme anxiety and depression, I may have ADHD and dyspraxia but I didn't want to go through the whole diagnostic process again so I'm not sure, oh and I am dyslexic so sorry for any spelling mistakes. :)

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community Feel free to join in or ask any questions 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Abigail_Clara - & welcome to the community. Thank you for joining, & telling us about yourself. We have many members with ASD so you're in good company.  :) Scope has a category with discussions about ASD that you may be interested in looking through. Please see: https://forum.scope.org.uk/categories/learning-disabilities-and-autism     or you might like to try our virtual 'Coffee lounge' to meet other members & look at the variety of discussions there.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Abigail_Clara :) It's great to have you with us. Thanks for sharing a bit about yourself! How are you getting on today?

Do you feel as though you're getting enough support to help you manage your conditions at the moment? Has getting the autism diagnosis been a positive thing for you? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Abigail_Clara
    Hi, I'm doing ok thank you.
    I start my first session of CBT therapy towards the end of the month so I guess I will see how that goes. I don't really view my autism diagnosis as a positive thing at the moment, when others have it I do because I believe there's a lot of things to gain from having autism but for me right now it just seems to be causing a lot of problems with my family, mostly due to not understanding each other. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Good news about the CBT @Abigail_Clara :) I hope it goes well!
    I don't really view my autism diagnosis as a positive thing at the moment, when others have it I do because I believe there's a lot of things to gain from having autism but for me right now it just seems to be causing a lot of problems with my family, mostly due to not understanding each other. 
    That's fair enough, getting a diagnosis can definitely cause friction sometimes. Have you spoken to your family about how you could all improve your communication towards each other? Is there anything in particular that you find difficult in terms of understanding each other?

• Abigail_Clara
    We talk about thing sometimes but we just can't understand where each other is coming from.
    I think there is a lot of things we don't understand about each other but I feel the main thing is that we just don't know where to find the answers.
  • Tori_Scope
    Have you considered going to any sort of family counselling or group to help you learn how to communicate better with each other @Abigail_Clara

I think sometimes the more you practise talking about things, the easier it becomes. Even if you don't agree on something, understanding where the other person is coming from is half the battle. 

Maybe you could try a different method of communication, such as writing stuff down? 

Brightness