Parking outside my house — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Parking outside my house

Options
erob12
erob12 Community member Posts: 13 Listener
edited July 2021 in Transport and travel
Hi All, 

I live in a ground floor flat and we have a street that leads to our house, there is currently a building site at the bottom of this street, being disabled and not able to walk very far, we park our car outside our flat, but every morning they come, knock on the door, and are quite rude about it, this morning, they banged on the door, to ask us to shift the car. I’m just wondering where do we stand on us parking outside our home. We were placed here as it has all the needed adaptations. The builders are just making our life hell and restricting how much we can get out and I don’t know who to turn too for advice.

thanks all 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

I'm not quite sure of the answer but I think unless you have a designated parking space then you don't have any claim to park your car there

But as your car is already there I'm not sure they can demand you move it unless it is causing a block or a hazard 

Try and contact your local council highway department 
  • realestate
    realestate Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Options
    Hello, If you are parking your car on their purchased property then they will definitely bang your door every time. If it isn't their property nor its yours then still you don't have any right to park, but nor its their right to tell you to move your car. The thing you can do is 
    1) Ask them what's their problem
    2) Contact your local department and solve the problem.
  • onebigvoice
    onebigvoice Scope Member Posts: 741 Pioneering
    Options
    erob12 said:
    Hi All, 

I live in a ground floor flat and we have a street that leads to our house, there is currently a building site at the bottom of this street, being disabled and not able to walk very far, we park our car outside our flat, but every morning they come, knock on the door, and are quite rude about it, this morning, they banged on the door, to ask us to shift the car. I’m just wondering where do we stand on us parking outside our home. We were placed here as it has all the needed adaptations. The builders are just making our life hell and restricting how much we can get out and I don’t know who to turn too for advice.

thanks all 
    There are two things going on here.
    1.  Anyone can park infront of your house its a first come first served ( or Parked ) unless you have a designated Disability parking bay infront of your house, which you can apply for from your local council which will take into account the area ( is it hilly ) your general needs and walking abilitys for access.
    That said.
    2.  If you are parked their and they want you to move they can only request you move, this would also depend on how long they want the car " not their " and could be a simple.  Excuse me Madam is it possible to get our wagon down the street so we can work on the site down their.
      They must also realise why you are parked their.
    3.  If the Workmen are going to be their for some time or may be days or weeks they were supposed to drop off leaflets in the area affected giving the residents prior warning.  Like by us when they were retarmacing the streets.  The council gave 2 weeks warning for cars not to be parked while work was being carried on and then a few days before they should state again with signs saying this road will require access from ( i.e.) 01/09/2021 at 06:00an to 07/09/2021, 13:00pm riad wirks in area.
    4.  They are supposed to apply to the Highways Department for a permit to work since other things may be affected like an interuption in Electric, Water or Gas, and may also include Telepjone and internet access as these days even braid band is underground.  This would also be show in the leaflet it seems you have not received.
      Only advice I can give is contact the highways department and ask them why you were not informed of the disruption as you have a disabled person to take care of, hence the parking, and how much longer will the need to move the car be required.
      Only my opinion. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    erob12 said:
    Hi All, 

thanks all 
    There are two things going on here.
    1.  Anyone can park infront of your house its a first come first served ( or Parked ) unless you have a designated Disability parking bay infront of your house, which you can apply for from your local council which will take into account the area ( is it hilly ) your general needs and walking abilitys for access.
    That said.

Even with a disabled bay outside your house, this doesn't mean this is your disabled bay. Anyone with a bluie badge has the right to park there.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @poppy123456, having a disabled parking bay outside your house is not for your use only or blue badge holder but any driver can use that parking space. They don’t because they are courtesy to the disabled people. If there is a pole erected stating Blue Badge holder only then the sign says it just those in possession of a blue badge can use the parking bay. When I enquired I was told the above by my council blue badge parking officer.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2021
    Options
    wilko said:
    @poppy123456, having a disabled parking bay outside your house is not for your use only or blue badge holder but any driver can use that parking space. They don’t because they are courtesy to the disabled people. If there is a pole erected stating Blue Badge holder only then the sign says it just those in possession of a blue badge can use the parking bay. When I enquired I was told the above by my council blue badge parking officer.

Please read my comment again... what you've said makes no sense. A disabled bay is meant to be for those with BB only and not for everyone. What i said was if you have a disabled bay outside your house then anyone with a BB can use it.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    OP could it be they simply want to avoid causing any damage to your car with their vehicles?
    I suspect this is an issue you have to address with the builders and not on the internet where people don't have access to all the facts or the ability to make any changes.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• erob12
    erob12 Community member Posts: 13 Listener
    Options
    Hi All,

just a quick update, so it turns out the road was sold by the council with no right of access, so technically it means I cannot even walk down the road to my house, since then a document has been drawn up and we now have right of access but this hasn’t been stipulated so we have taken it as we can park our car there. The housing officer from the council have told us we are able to park there as we were put there because of my medical and disability priority. We also know that a ambulance can fit past as they have reversed down past our car on multiple occasions. There is also a camera installed so any damage they do cause can be reported and claimed from there insurance. We are also having a drive way installed so we can park the car as close as physical possible. 

Brightness