Hair washing — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hair washing

louise_pettitt
louise_pettitt Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi, I have an autistic 11 year old daughter. We have always had issues with hair washing but recently it is becoming impossible to wash her hair properly. She says it hurts when rubbing in the shampoo, we have let her do it herself as she made so much fuss when we did it (we were extremely gentle but she screamed how much it hurt), but she says it hurts when she washes her own hair. Any suggestions on how to move forward with hair washing as it always ends in a meltdown. Or anyone else experience this with their own child? 

Comments

• Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    I don't think this will be much help but the only thing that worked with my son was to try and make the whole bathing experience as calm and pleasant as possible.

Try seeing if there is a particular smell of shampoo that she likes...put very small amounts on her hair with no rubbing at all literally just gently stroke some shampoo onto her hair and use as little water as possible to rinse...basically just try to do whatever might make it less stressful for her without worrying about whether or not her hair is as clean or as rinsed as you'd like.

Hopefully some others will be able to give more advice based on their experience.... :)
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    This isn't something I have personal experience of @louise_pettitt, but I hope Cress' comment has given you some ideas.

I also found this Q&A from the Autism Parenting Magazine, which you may find helpful? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,368 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

Some people with Autism experience sensory issues, some more than others, while some may not experience any at all. Having experienced a few sensory issues with my daughter your daughter sounds like she has sensory issues with touch because she's over sensitive. See link. https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/topics/sensory-differences/sensory-differences/all-audiences

I have no experience with this myself because my daughter doesn't suffer with this sensory issue. I can only advise that you let her wash her own hair because it maybe less painful if she does it herself.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness