What does the appeal process for LCWRA involve? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What does the appeal process for LCWRA involve?

shortyt
shortyt Community member Posts: 29 Connected
edited September 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi about 2 months ago I was awarded LCW I asked for a mandatory reconsideration as I feel I should of been awarded LCWRA.
They didn't change there decision and said I was entitled to LCWRA how many points do you need for LCWRA has I was given 15 points. I'm also gonna appeal this has somethings they have stated are wrong what does the appeal process involve has I suffer from depression and don't know if I will be able to cope woth the stress of it all even thou my daughter does all my forms and letters for me.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2021
    Hi,

It's not about points for the LCWRA group. You have to satisfy at least 1 of the descriptors. See link. https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/universal-credit-uc/uc-faq/3904-limited-capability-for-work-related-activity
    Another route into this group is substantial risk. Explained here. https://wcainfo.net/issues/substantial-risk-lcwra

For the appeal you need to request the Tribunal. See link. https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/challenging-work-capability-assessment-decisions This is also explained at #4 of that link.
    Before you request the Tribunal i'd advise you to get some expert advice to see if you qualify for LCWRA because if you don't then it's pointless going any further. Start that here. https://advicelocal.uk/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Rachel10876
    Rachel10876 Scope Member Posts: 81 Courageous
    please please go ahead with the appeal because I don’t know weather you know this not many people do the dwp don’t except people like me or you to go ahead with the appeal process because we suffer with mental health issues. That’s why we have to be strong and fight them every step of the way believe me I know what I am talking about I’m going through the same process as you but mine benefit is pip so it’s the same process. If you want some more information on everything there’s a website I always use and I find them so great I’m now a member of them they are called -
    Benefits and Work .
    They will explain to you the whole process what you should be saying to them and everything else in between. Please check it out it has really helped millions of people who are in the same boat as us. Check it out and message me back once you have. My name is Rachel and I’m a member of Scope. Xx

• shortyt
    Ok thanks I will do I get pip already the lower rate and I now only can work 8 hours per week 4 hours one day 4 hours another day. So I get top up via uc.
    My disablity I have is with my back I have bulging discs on my spine hitting on the left and right nerves also sicactia which puts me in a lot of pain also my depression.
    I will check out the site now can I actually speak to someone on the phone or is it only trough a chat like scope.
  • poppy123456
    edited September 2021
    Membership for benefits and work isn't free, it's £20 a year. Personally, i wouldn't pay anything to anyone because you can get expert advice by contacting an advice agency near you by putting your postcode into the link i posted above. This is free!

The reason i advised you to get some expert advice is because not everyone qualifies for LCWRA and if you don't requesting the Tribunal will be a waste of your time and their's. Receiving PIP doesn't automatically entitle you to LCWRA. They are different benefits, with totally different criteria.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Rachel10876
    You don’t have to pay that’s just if you want to be a member that’s your choice but the forum’s are free . I was only giving her my opinion that’s all.
  • poppy123456
    edited September 2021
    Membership for benefits and work includes access to the forums (like this) and access to all the benefit guides that you can download and keep.
  • Rachel10876
    I do know my stuff when it comes to benefits 
  • poppy123456
    edited September 2021
    I do know my stuff when it comes to benefits 

Likewise( i never said you didn't know)  but advising someone to "go for the appeal" when you don't know how their conditions affect them is wrong. There's very specific criteria for LCWRA and not everyone qualifies. If the OP gets some expert advice before doing anything else then they will know if it's worth their while.
  • shortyt
    If I find out I don't qualify for LCWRA then I don't see the point in going for the appeal either and it's just gonna be added stress for me.
    Also another thing that concerns me is that cause I'm only doing 8 hours per week at work in time will they tell me to look for more hours I do have a 30hour contract per week at work but can't do it that's why I'm on amended hours certificate.
    It stated in the letter I may be asked to do some sort of work activities but this could include my job
  • poppy123456
    You've already been found to have LCW so no, you won't be expected to look for more hours. As you have LCW you will also have the work allowance, which means you can earn a certain amount of money before the 63% deductions apply. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/universal-credit-work-allowances/universal-credit-work-allowances

• shortyt
    Yes I get that already that has already been put onto my uc...ok so that is good to know do you know what the maximum allowance is on uc cause I know the extra 20 per week is stopping this month.
  • poppy123456
    Your maximum entitlement will totally depend on your circumstances. The standard allowance will be reduced by £86 from October.
  • shortyt
    Ok thank you will have to wait until next month then to see what I get
  • poppy123456
    If you mean the work allowance it’s £292 if you claim for help with the rent or £512 if you don’t. The link I posted above explains the work allowance. 

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    If you mean the work allowance it’s £292 if you claim for help with the rent or £512 if you don’t. The link I posted above explains the work allowance. 
    £293 and £515 respectively.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    calcotti said:
    £293 and £515 respectively.

Of course it is lol, thaniks. That's because i didn't check the exact figures before posting.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.