Working Full Time and whether to claim PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Working Full Time and whether to claim PIP

Kammy
Kammy Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited September 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Good Evening all, 

Bit of a long time lurker and finally trying to get a hold of my life in terms of helping myself. 

I have been diagnosed by my GP as severely depressed and was put immediately on a low dose of anti depressants (review in two weeks) and refered to my local IAPT and getting an assessment on Wednesday for some counselling.

I work full time and struggling with my mental health and have been getting worse over the two years.  

If I made a PIP claim, has their been history where assessors would look at the fact I am working full time? I just don't want to waste my time. 

Thank you in advance.

Tagged:

Comments

• Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,014 Pioneering
    @Kammy people who work full time can claim PIP. I work full time and was awarded PIP. 
  • Kammy
    Thank you @Cressida

So working full time won't go against me in terms of getting PIP. 

Just anxious and don't want to waste my time applying for something. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    PIP isn't awarded based on any diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect you against the PIP descriptors. Lots of people claim PIP and work but if the work you do contradicts the reasons why you're claiming PIP then it can go against you. See PIP descriptors here. https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-points-system
    It maybe worth speaking to an advice agency near you for some expert advice to see if you may qualify. For that start here. https://advicelocal.uk/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2021
    Welcome to the community @Kammy :) Thanks for posting, and for telling us a bit about your situation. 

As Cressida and poppy123456 have said, it's definitely possible to work full time and claim PIP. PIP isn't means tested, and is about daily living and mobility rather than employment. Have you taken a look at the descriptors?

Our content team have put together a page on benefits and mental health, which you might like to have a read over, too. 

I'm glad to hear that you were able to speak to your GP, and that things seem to be moving along in terms of treatment. How are you feeling at the moment? How are you getting on with the anti-depressants? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Kammy
    Hi @Tori_Scope

So far it's day 3 on the anti depressants and will take a while for it to kick in as my GP described. I do have a IAPT assessment on Wednesday and GP did let me know it may take a while to actually start some sort of therapy due to waiting times. 

She has recommended a low dose at first and gradually to increase it and stay on it for about a year or so, so It will be reviewed every two weeks. 

Apart from that it's up and down and it has affected my immediate family too in terms of the constantly wanting to help me, but speaking to the GP did help in terms of atleast breaking down mental barriers in my head and ask for help. 

Thank you for asking. 

Thank you all for reassuring me. Might give it a shot. 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2021
    Hi @Kammy - & welcome to the community. As Cressida & Poppy have said, people work & successfully claim PIP. So long as the work you do doesn't contradict the reasons you might be awarded PIP, there's no problem. If you're struggling to continue working full time, you might be able to cut the hours you work if awarded PIP. But also look at Scope's info on 'reasonable adjustments,' as that might help too. Please see: https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/work-careers/reasonable-adjustments/

• Kammy
    Hi All, quick update. 

I called PIP and got a form, however i got an online version? 

Any rough estimate if online PIPs take? 

Apart from that without all your advice i wouldnt of done it.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    The online version isn't available to everyone yet only some people are asked if they want to apply that way. There is no timescales but DWP are saying it can take up to 10 months in total because backlogs are huge. Whether the online application will take less time is anyone's guess.
    When you fill out that form you should add a couple of real world examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you. You should include information such as where you were, who if anyone seen it and the consequences.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Kammy - thank you for your update. You might find the following website helpful in completing your PIP claim form: https://www.mentalhealthandmoneyadvice.org/en/welfare-benefits/pip-mental-health-guide/help-with-your-pip-claim/how-to-fill-in-the-pip-form/
    As Poppy says, for each activity/descriptor that applies, give a couple of really detailed examples, e.g. when exactly did it happen, what happened, why, was anyone with you, etc? It's also important to say if you can't do an activity 'reliably,' i.e. safely, to a reasonable standard, repeat it as often as it would be reasonable to do so, & does it take you longer than someone without your disability?
    Please do come back with any questions.
  • Kammy
    Thought I would return to this. 

After submitting my application, it took a wooping 10 months to get an assessment. As I did an online form, they sent it incorrectly to the assessors. I never bothered chasing etc due to my mental health. My condition has got worse, I changed roles with my employer, I haven't left my home in 3 months now and at gap of how long it took to get an assessment, I didn't submit evidence, however I explained everything to them over the phone. 

assessment was 1hr 20 minutes and going with the questions, nothing to random in terms of questions. DWP have now received my medical report and already requested the assessors report.  
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,645 Disability Gamechanger
    How did you find the online form like was it difficult to use @Kammy? I've heard mixed reviews. 
  • Kammy
    Same as you would do with the paper form, I would suggest screenshotting each answer, as later on you you will have to request your form. 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Kammy said:
    Same as you would do with the paper form, I would suggest screenshotting each answer, as later on you you will have to request your form. 
    Just before you submit the form you should be able to download the whole form. Once submitted you can't see it again (which is daft). Nonetheless taking screenshots is good advice as a sensible precaution in case you miss the download..
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.