Received Assessment report. Not happy with review period. Can I ask for award length to be extended? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Received Assessment report. Not happy with review period. Can I ask for award length to be extended?

sara477
sara477 Community member Posts: 26 Connected
edited September 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi. I have received my PIP Assessment report (review assessment) and although I’m happy regarding points I’ve received. As it hasn’t been decided by a DM yet and I’m aware they don’t always go with the assessment report. I’m not happy with the advice that it should be reviewed in two years. My query is can I contact the pip helpline and ask them to leave a note on my file for the DM to read that I should’ve mentioned on my review form that I wanted a review in four years or do I have to wait for the paperwork from pip saying my award remains unchanged but will be reviewed in two years. 
 Many thanks. This forum has been instrumental in my pip review. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

You can contact a decision maker or write a letter asking for a longer award. May i ask why 4 years and not 10 years? If you're asking for a longer award then it makes sense to ask for the maximum award length.
    You are correct though, the report is a recommendation and makes up part of your evidence. They don't always go with it.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • sara477
    Thanks poppy123456 for your response. 
    My first award was for four years and the assessor even stated on the review assessment report that my “functional restriction identified in this report will be present at the recommended point of review” also “that the claimant has a mental, intellectual or cognitive impairment and may need additional support to comply with future claim process”. I don’t want to rock the boat by asking them for to much. It’s been such a stressful 9 months. I can’t imagine having to go through this again. Also because of COVID extensions I’ll be assessed again in 11 months because a two year review I’m nearly 10 months into my COVID extension. 
       Thanks again everyone 

• poppy123456
    The new award will take affect from the date the decision was made so the new award length will be from that date, not from the time your current award was extended.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • sara477
    Thank you again poppy123456 for getting back. 
     I’ll phone  PIP tomorrow and ask them to leave a note on the system for the DM to see that I’ve asked for a longer review date and see what happens. 
  • sara477
    Thank mikehughescq. In reference to plucking the idea of a four year award Iength out of thin air.  It is.   Im just unsure and not confident I can dictate to PIP how long I want the award to be. I’ve had my disabilities for over a decade and the review pip assessment report supports this. I’m just surprised they think I’ll be any better in two.  I understand from this forum I should have made a point on my review form I should’ve asked for a specific award length. It was too late as I had already sent it off. I just wanted to know would it be possible to inform the DM that I would like a longer award length than 2 years. 
  • sara477
    Thanks again mikehughescq for your response. 
     I don’t think I’m alone when I think I should just be grateful that I receive anything, for any period of time. And I know I shouldn’t it’s what I’m rightfully entitled to. I’m going to phone tomorrow and explain why the award length should be longer and when I receive my award and the award length remains at two years hopefully I won’t have to complete an MR on the award length. 
      Thanks 
  • sara477
    Is it possible for the DM to read the assessment and decide the award length should be longer? 
  • poppy123456
    sara477 said:
    Is it possible for the DM to read the assessment and decide the award length should be longer? 

Absolutely. The report is just part of your evidence. Do be aware though that when ringing DWP you are just ringing a call centre and not DWP itself, so asking them to put a note onto the computer may not be the best idea.
  • sara477
    Thanks poppy123456 for your response. I’ll just wait until I receive my award letter and hopefully it will be longer. 

• abbyk41
    abbyk41 Community member Posts: 96 Connected
    Sara my report said two years the dm put an award for three so yes it can happen hope that helps 
  • sara477
    Thanks abbk41. It does help many thanks. 
  • effie678
    effie678 Community member Posts: 54 Courageous
    I never asked for a specific time and was awarded 10year
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    abbyk41 said:
    Sara my report said two years the dm put an award for three so yes it can happen hope that helps 
    If the report recommends a review at two years and the DM follows the report the award length is set at three years before the review can start a year before the end date.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • abbyk41
    abbyk41 Community member Posts: 96 Connected
    Ah right calcotti makes sense 
  • sara477
    Just wanted to say thank you to everyone that has responded. I haven’t phoned pip today. I’m just going to wait for my award and see what the DM has stated my award length will be x
  • gizmovinney3169
    gizmovinney3169 Community member Posts: 41 Connected
    edited September 2021
    I was just given  my  awarded for  10years .I did not know u could ask for more time 
  • poppy123456
    I was just given  my  awarded for  10years .I did not know u could ask for more time 

A 10 year award is the maximum award length you can have.
  • gizmovinney3169
    Yes it is I was awarded that on my last assessment I have Fibromyalgia and stage 4 osteoarthritis I can't fell my left side I have deteriorated over the past 2 years so I was given assessment again and was awarded the ongoing award and there was 10 years date on there when they would see how I was doing if they need to call me back in 
  • gizmovinney3169
    I think u should be happy with the time u get as there a lot off people having to fight to get there pip award 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.